OT: Lavatory rolls in men's stalls

I apologise for going OT but curiosity must be satisfied.

So, the trap at work has a normal loo roll holder (as opposed to one of those corporate jobs where you need a key). On a shelf in the trap is a bumper pack of Tesco's cheapest loo rolls.

What I've noticed is that, from time to time, an unattached loo roll appears parked on top of the loo roll holder, which continues to hold a roll with plenty of sheets. I can understand when the loo roll is parked on an empty cardboard tube - obviously mummy isn't on hand to change the loo roll for diddums, but why do some men (a man?) find it necessary to start a new roll when there's a perfectly serviceable, unfinished roll on the go?

There must be a logical explanation - I work with software engineers, and we're not known for being illogical, Captain (sorry, saw the Star Trek film last night!)

Ta

Edward

Reply to
Edward

Maybe it depends on which side of the stall they are fixed and if the man is left or right handed - also how close they are - sometimes you need to be double jointed to pull the paper off if they are too close. Personally I prefer to hold a lose roll with my left hand and pull and tear the appropriate amount of paper with my right hand.

I dislike those commercial rolls which have perforations at foot intervals. I bet the manufacturers intend people to use more paper than they need so they sell more.

Just my pennyworth. I'm a software developer too. :-)

Reply to
David in Normandy

Quite often the sheets in the two ply get out of sync so they start a new one. They are the logical ones that haven't worked out that you just unwrap one ply and they then line up again.

Reply to
dennis

Tea spill on the desk - grab a whole roll, mop up spill, return remains of roll.

Reply to
OG

Cunning plan:

o set up examples of illogical behaviour; o watch colleagues waste time trying to find [logical] explanations; o keep own nose to screen(s) and quietly expect to get better bonus.

Reply to
neverwas

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Howard saying something like:

And a peculiar form of tuneless whistle which often manifests itself at times of high stress.

I don't think JL is suffering much any more, apart from Yoko, of course.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's due to a relatively common condition known as Edicopappataphobia

- a fear of letting people know you've had a dump by virtue of the rumbling noise made by the loo roll holder as it dispenses the paper.

Many sufferers resort to making a noise to disguise the sound of the roller - the most popular being singing. Celebrities who suffer from this condition include Tom Jones, John Lennon...and, of course, George Michael.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Perhaps you have a cleanliness fanatic on board, bearing in mind that the first sheet of the existing roll must have been touched by the previous occupant. Now I think about it.....

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

If it IS the work of someone covering their dropping the kids off at the pool, the man you seek will also probably be a crop duster.

Reply to
Lino expert

I'm in software deployment rather than development But... ...When having my eyes tested a few years ago I read the lines on the chart as directed by the Optician. "Very good", he said. "But why did you read them from right to left?" I had to think about it for a moment and then I realised that as I was looking at the chart in a mirror, I had subconsciously assumed that the text would be laterally inverted even though it wasn't!

Reply to
Graham.

They want to blow their nose, and they would rather not use the 'in use' roll for that...squeamish!

Reply to
Bob Eager

One time possibly during WW2 when thrift was required 3 sheets was supposed to be adequate. One up, one down and one to polish.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No Dennis - this happens when the top and bottom sheets get arse about faced, you clueless eejit

They are softies, most of them couldn't wire up a plug, let alone wipe their arse

Reply to
geoff

We were allowed only two sheets at school in the 50s. I suppose I was smaller then. As it was a 100 yard walk to the facilities at the other side of the yard, I managed never to need them.

At home we used half a sheet of the Daily Herald.

Reply to
<me9

Bronco (not Lane).

Reply to
Clot

More important though - is the end of the roll away from the wall or next to it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Depends if there's a cat in the house.

Reply to
Ian White

An important issue indeed that so far has been overlooked. Away is the way forward, the new black and, not a lot of people know this, the choice of the discerning. Apart from anything else, if near you get nail varnish residue on the wall if a top coat hasn't been applied (to said nail varnish, that is).

Reply to
Lino expert

Hi geoff, I see you are still here trying to score points like the idiot you are.

You deliberately snipped the bit where I actually stated what the problem was and how to fix it. That makes you even more stupid than I thought.

Reply to
dennis

I've had no luck in getting any of ours to replace the bog paper when they use a roll up, so that seems irrelevant.

Reply to
Jules