OT : Laptop battery

They don't take very kindly to going as flat as this one's likely to be: there's a possibility that one (or more) of the cells will no longer hold charge, having become reverse-polarised. Unlikely to blow up when you put it on charge, though, so suck-it-and-see (assuming you still have the relevant charger!) is fair enough. For future reference, it's better to put unused 'spare' rechargeable packs on charge a couple of times a year than to leave them in their Original Packaging...

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Could it be 'Presario' ?

Had it been charged now and again it *could* still be useable. If it hasn't (and if it's still in it's packaging the chances are it hasn't) then it could be shot. ;-(

The only real test is to charge it up (it might say 'charged' very quickly) then run it flat (would be just a few mins). Charge it back up again and see it it takes longer (then discharge it again) and so on. It *could* pick up at last long enough to put it on eBay as 'working' ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

sorry - I know it's OT but you guys seem to know all sorts of sh*t (-;

I have an old Compaq presarion laptop battery which is still in the packaging. I was wondering - is there a time limit to how long these things can keep - this ones about 5 years old. Mint condition though.

cheers

Joe.

Reply to
JoeBhoy

Not saying you're wrong, but how would it get reverse polarised if it hadn't been on load? (I'm aware that the first cells to discharge in a battery on load will get reverse-charged by the other cells until the whole battery reaches equilibrium.)

AIUI NiCds are quite happy about being in a disharged state for extende periods, unlike Lead acid which sulphate up.

Reply to
John Stumbles

err, mumble, little conductive green elves linking arms between + and - terminals, maybe? umm, maybe, mumble, when first plugged into the charger? um, mumble, creeps away...

I still wouldn't be surprised to find an unloved, discharged, multicell battery to have lost most of its capacity when left at the back of a cupboard for several years, rather'n having been tickled into holding charge a few times in that period. But I'd welcome correction from anyone with more knowledge; hmm, maybe that new-fangled Berners-Lee InterWeb thingumy has something to say? Lessee... there's a semi-authoritative-seeming NiCd FAQ at

suggests NiCds are optimally stored long-term discharged, cold, and shorted - but the NASA-quoted proceedcakes there require access to each individual *cell*, not just shorting the whole battery! Panasonic's guidelines at
(on p.2) that batteries should be charged once or twice a year when being stored long-term, but other manufacturers - according to a collection of quotes at
are less paranoid, though all agree that several charge/discharge cycles are likely to be needed after long-term storage to restore something like the initial capacity.

Isn't the infosuperhypenetwebway just wunnerful? ;-)

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

I like to read your sensible postings, but I have to ask...

As it has never been charged, how can it go flat? The OP does say that it is in its original packaging, so...

AIUI a NiCad pack that has never been charged just requires conditioning and it will be happy to work for another 1000 (?) charges, or 2 years tops, of use.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

- which, as you point out, are a strict subset of all my postings ;-) Thus:

yes, I guess keeping it in its original, as-shipped condition is about the kindest way you could store it, ass-U-ming it wasn't 'test charged' before shipping or some such

More like than not! Thanks for the gentle use of cluestick...

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

That was my plan - stick it on Ebay - I just don't have a presario....

don't want to do it though if they are goosed!

cheers Joe.

Reply to
JoeBhoy