OT Jim Al-Khalili at Sellafield

For those interested: BBC4, 9.00PM Monday 10th.
--

Chris

On 08/08/2015 8:09 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:

Nice one, Chris.
--
One click voting to change the world.
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/
On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 21:22:01 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

That too is scheduled, along with the 0230 less vandalised version on the 10th. I only bother with the early evening airings as 'safety recordings' since they inevitably suffer extreme end credit vandalism.
The subsequent midnight onwards repeats only suffer audio vandalism at worst, sometimes remaining completely unmolested. It's usually only the last programme on BBC4's daily schedule that suffers from BSL vandalism.
--
Johnny B Good

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 21:22:01 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Jim @ Sellafield has been plugged summat roten on BBC Four for about two weeks. This is often not a good sign of a decent factual programme but of some dumbed down mass audience programme. The trails are of the dumbed down nature and Jim's stuff is normally good. Get iPlayer primed to grab it when it becomes availabe.

But this one hasn't been plugged or if it has not to the extent of Jim @ Sellafield. About to prime GiP... thanks.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Like Professor Brian "Astroturf" Cox a couple years ago, you mean? You couldn't put the bleeding box on without him popping up.
I watched al-Khalili's series "The Story of Electricity" a couple years ago. That was ok, no more than that.

Tell me about it. Watched Horizon the other day about space debris, the first time I've watched it in a while. The level of dumbing down was shocking. Cut out all the bollocks, scare tactics, doom-laden voiceovers and special effects and you had the makings of a decent half- hour programme.

It's available on iPlayer now. I've recorded it nut not yet watched.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 13:21:15 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Much as I admire JaK for bringing his obviious enthusiasm for science to a wider audience (the Life Scientific on R4 is invariably fascinating) it still grates hearing him use crowbarred politically correct imperial units when he's able (required) to use SI units for the science bit.
No one younger than me should have any excuse - metric was made compulsory the year I started school - 1971. I never once used imperial in any school work. Or was London a bit weird ?

15 minutes, tops.

Crowbarred? He should certainly be using SI for a specifically scientific item, but for something more general such as the altitude of a satellite, then remember we still use miles for long(-ish) distances.

So you've no idea about the older units, then? Bad luck, you're left in ignorance. It cuts you off from chunks of our heritage and history, and you won't be able to relate to what's written in older books.
And you won't be able to name your son Miles. You'll have to call him Kilometres.
--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."

And we won't let him drink pints. Instead he'll have to ask for "568ml of your best bitter, landlord!"
:)
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:39:04 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

A (n English) pint *is* 568 ml. Which also highlights that the "imperial" system isn't even consistent with it's own terms, as US pints and gallons will attest to.
I'm sure part of the alleged opposition to metrication came from a whole swathe of people who failed to grasp that no one was forcing anyone to work in rounded metric.

It would have been nice had this been true.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 3rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 13:17:52 +0000, Huge wrote:

What ? That metrication meant having to work in "rounded" units (e.g. 50,100 ml etc) ?
Or that some people *believed* that was the case ?

You say "no one was forcing anyone to work in (rounded) metric".
This is untrue. Some people were forced to work in metric. The "rounded" bit is irrelevant.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 3rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
*whoosh*
I was picking up on Tim's joke "And you won't be able to name your son Miles. You'll have to call him Kilometres."
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Both based on fluid ounces - 16 for a short-measure US pint, 20 for ours.
--
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
friend.... if you have one." - GB Shaw to Churchill "Cannot possibly
On 8/10/2015 1:15 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

Yes - but the US fluid ounce isn't exactly the same size as the Imperial fluid ounce. Close, but just a bit different.
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 7:47:55 PM UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:

Ah yes but surely "a pint's a pound the world around"...
Robert

That's what the Septics try to tell us, but it manifestly isn't true.
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
On 8/12/2015 10:48 AM, Tim Streater wrote:

It sort of was, up until 1826. The UK wine gallon weighed 8 pounds, and the US continued to use the wine gallon after the UK switched to Imperial measurements.
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:31:45 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Unfortunately, I know more about the older units than the FiL, who had a shock when I corrected him over rod and chains. But then one of my hobbies is reading history books.