OT: Jeremy Hardy

I usually find something to listen to on iPlayer as I walk the dogs. Today I made the mistake of selecting Radio Four's 'Jeremy Hardy Feels...Fear'. The programme isn't supposed to be about politics at all; it's supposed to be about human emotions, but in fact it was highly politicised and always with an extreme leftist viewpoint. Hardy made political point after political point. Many of these points could have been easily demolished had anyone been there to do it, but no, Hardy had Radio Four to himself for 30 minutes. I wouldn't mind that if there was ever a similar program with a right wing viewpoint, but there isn't.
Bill
On 28/12/17 18:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Ah but 'everyone knows' that right wing is just fascist nutters innit?
Bill Wright wrote:

I love Jeremy Hardy's humour but not his politics.
alan
Mageia 5.1 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.82-desktop-1.mga5 KDE version 4.14.5 on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
On Thursday, 28 December 2017 18:34:32 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

There's far too much crap on radio 4. The politics is bs, the depressive dramas are worse.
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 13:26:01 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On balance, I could probably live if only R4 and BBC4 survived. That said, R4 has slipped a lot in my estimation since it became the official Brexit propaganda station.
On 29/12/17 11:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

No R4 is the official remainer propganda staion.
I would miss radio 2 when driving

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 15:05:53 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

given your view, and my view, it seems they are pretty in the middle then ?

Prefer talk these days, so R4s "In Our Time", "The Life Scientific", "The Long View", plus "Infinite Monkey Cage" and assorted downloadable podcasts keep me happy. Although ironically I hardly drive for work these days.
On 29/12/2017 11:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

Depending on which program you listen to its the exact opposite - it's pro-remain.
I think that R4 interviewers let the politicians spout bull shit without any serious questioning about what they have said. It's worse with the long serving failed politicians from yesteryear who are now often regarded as some kind of god where their words of wisdom are left unchallenged. They are often advocating the same policies that the public voted against 20 years ago.
I've given up with R4 morning news program as it no longer contains any news. It's just a parade of UK politicians voicing the latest view of a spin doctor's scribbling from the night before, a patronising god slot that has no place in a news program and a contrived debate about jazz or some other minor interest subject.
When the UK parliament is in recess there seems to be zero world news on some parts of the BBC.
It would be nice if the BBC had a policy of immediately stopping an interview when a politician is asked one question but then deliberately answers one of his own.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 30/12/17 11:37, alan_m wrote:

then ther wouldn't be any political programs at all.
--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Leaving aside leave/remain. I listened to Today this a.m. It's really sad how useless Humphreys really is - he has no knowledge of anything to do with science, technology, engineering. Time he was put out to grass.
--
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
(and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an
On 30/12/17 12:24, Tim Streater wrote:

Nor has anyone else in the BBC.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

And someone with an in depth knowledge of any subject is unlikely to be a good presenter. Or indeed know about everything. Humphrey's job is to persuade such information out of others. And should have researchers to help with questions, etc.
Odd how you believe every word you read in the Torygraph, etc. Also written by those who aren't experts on anything.
--
*I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it..

Or, in the case of Newsnight, allows an answer to a question before the interviewer butts in. No matter what the politics of the interviewer/interviewee. Often seems like a vehicle for the presenter rather than a news prog. But not always.
Being retired, I hardly ever hear Today. But always PM.
--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 18:34:32 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

Al Murray (aka The Pub Landlord) at Christmas was repeated last night.
Owain

On LBC, Nigel Farage has a 1-hour phone-in slot, Mon to Thurs, 7pm to 8pm, and a 2-hour slot on Sunday morning, 10am to noon. Maybe not right-wing in the general sense, but essentially six hours per week of only-occasionally-diluted pro-Brexit party-political propaganda. Nevertheless, if you ignore (or, alternatively, lap up) the constant plugging of his 'message', he is actually a pretty good phone-in host.
--
Ian

On 28/12/2017 23:28, Ian Jackson wrote:

Yes I listen occasionally. The thing is though, can you imagine a comedian who openly supported brexit ever getting a half hour slot on the BBC? Incidentally I tried to complain to LBC about the quality of the link from Washington when Farage presented from there, and the person on the phone was extremely rude to me. I do find LBC refreshing after the BBC because the different presenters have different viewpoints, whereas on the BBC they are all pretty much the same, and thus predictable.
Bill
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 02:19:22 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Farage got a long slot this morning.
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 02:19:22 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

If such a beast exists ? It's entirely possible that there are no *established* comics who do support Brexit - or that are willing to discuss it as a stage topic.
Jethro_uk wrote:

Geoff Norcott?
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/radio-4-comedy-commissions
On 29/12/2017 12:09, Andy Burns wrote:

That link is absolute perfect BBC bullshit and bias.
"Bilal Zafar’s British Muslim Love, in which the 25 year-old British-born, first-generation Pakistani Muslim talks about how dating, love and marriage can be an awkward area for anyone but is especially complicated for Muslims"
"...an energetic and intelligent female-anchored show...The predominantly female panel..."
"Sindhu Vee welcomes listeners to her world in Sindhustan, telling stories about her unique family life..."
"As a Chinese ex-mathematician..."
"Following the Brexit verdict, which famously saw a 106 percent rise in Irish passport applications..."
"...behind every great man is an even greater woman..."
Bill