OT ish... oil fired heating

MIL has just moved into the sticks, she has mains electric but no mains gas so wants to install oil fired heating at the moment she has electric wall heaters and cooker, and a calor gas bottle for the fire, so this would be a complete installation, oil tank, boiler, radiators, the works...

can anyone recommend a company that does this sort of work ? and a rough guide to the cost for a 2 bed bungalow with 2 receptions, bathroom and kitchen (6 radiators ?) ?

located in Northumberland

thanks

Reply to
in2minds

have you thought about installing LPG or calor gas system, then combi boiler (if required) for hot water and heating/rads? You can get a large LPG or calor gas storage tank which can be refilled much like an oil tank, or run it off large gas bottles as we do... then only one fuel type required other than electricity...(currently we are living in mobile home with very satisfactory combi LPG heating/water system !)

also, we just had a 2 bed flat fitted with ch (also 6 rads), and were quoted between £4-5k all in depending upon contractor! Corgi Registered LPG installer can install LPG ch system Mara

Reply to
Mara

The general opinion round here is that LPG is expensive and not as satisfactory as oil so I would look into all aspects of running costs and frequency of fuel delivery really carefully. Having said that I do not know how the recent fuel cost increases have impacted upon oil and LPG prices.

Reply to
Hzatph

MIL has found out that a number of people in the local area use oil fired systems, she's going to ask about the costs of installation/running and get quotes from the companies they've used.

thanks

Reply to
in2minds

To meet the raft of oil storage regulations, fuel/energy conservation etc etc she may find the new to old pricing is not a reliable guide to find an installer. I suggest she consult the OFTEC website to find a local pro.

Reply to
John

I'd seconfd that. Any competent Domestic heating company wil be able to cover all of the work, though they might sub out the tank installation and pipe running from that..£4-5k for a comple CH system sounds about right..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You need to do some basic research on heat requirements (needed to size the boiler anyway) and look at the costs of fuel. Oil has doubled in price in the last 12 months and is running close to the cost of off peak electricity now. I don't know what has happened to the price of bulk LPG, some one here must know.

Of course you'll also be gambling on what is going to happen to relative energy costs over the next 10 years or so. I suspect that a fairly hard increases are going to happen as demand out strips production and sources of the black stuff start to dry up.

With a blank slate I'd look hard at alternative fuels such as wood pellet/chip boilers, thermal solar panels, if there is the space a ground source heat pump system or a combination.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The oil replenishment this year is going to cost me around £100 more than 12 months ago. I'd say oil is turning out to be a very expensive heating method since we are dependent on the crazies in the Middle East, the White House, and 10 Downing Street.

My heating method of choice would be a chimney, a wood-burner, and a little trailer to pull behind the car with which to pick up logs and other off-cuts dirt cheap. With leccy as a temporary fall-back to give a little boost in the bathroom on coldest mornings. I think £350 a year just for heating is totally unacceptable (cooking is by leccy, so that comes on top of the heating costs).

MM

Reply to
MM

SNIP

. I think £350 a

So stop buying fuel

Reply to
John

Is this the same answer you would give to an OAP who is freezing his nuts off?

MM

Reply to
MM

The OAP wouldn't be pedantically stating he/she found it totally unacceptable. I would "love" it if my heating oil bill was £350 per year but realistically I like to keep warm and expect to pay around twice that based on last years oil prices. Mind you I do have more than two rooms in the house.

You may also find it helpful to get a humour transplant

Reply to
John

Would you care to explain at what point humour is detectable in "So stop buying fuel"?

MM

Reply to
MM

In article , MM writes

You don't think the after it might be a clue?

Reply to
David

Thank you - it saves me having to type more slowly for the hard of understanding

Reply to
John

It's a grand idea that but have you really considered, or have experience of the amount of work that a wood burner involves, particularly to an older woman - I would suggest that this is a non-starter.

Storage is needed for the current year under cover and for next year's wood as well so that it is totally seasoned for burning. Storage is also needed around the stove itself. And is the lady in question going to able to handle the chain aw, axe, log splitter to prepare the wood for the stove ?

No wood burning stove is going to produce enough heat to satisfactorily heat the CH system without producing so much leakage heat into the room it is in that that room doesn't overheat - unless it is particularly large.

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

No, because a grin doesn't make something humorous that is basically just a cheap jibe for want of any real response.

MM

Reply to
MM

Of course, it's not! People, including my family as I grew up, have been heating their homes by burning wood for thousands of years. What a strange idea to think otherwise.

What lady in question? I never mentioned any ladies. Or anyone female. As for wielding a chain saw, I am quite able to do that, you know! I am not in my dotage yet. As I drive around the countryside and see fallen trees everywhere, which the owner would likely sell for a few quid, it's a crying shame that no one can be bothered to consume it.

Who said anything about CH? I grew up, as most of us did, in houses without central heating. We had open fires, later Agas or Rayburns, and that was it. Winters were much colder. We often awoke with ice on the insides of the windows.

However the heat gets into the room is immaterial, whether from a centrally heated radiator or from an open fire or a stove. It's how the heat is conserved that is important.

MM

Reply to
MM

In article , MM writes

Ahh, I see a humour transplant is required

Reply to
David