OT(ish) - common "thick person" joke which might have an exception?

Given the hot weather I am reminded of the alleged thick person who sat in front of the fridge with the door open to keep the room cool. As we (presumably) all know the fridge cools the inside and heats the surrounding air so the end result is the room not getting any cooler.

However a caravan fridge vents the hot air to the outside, and so in theory running the fridge with the door open should cool the interior of the caravan down (to some extent).

Discuss. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

At a local supermarket the reserve fridge room was used for admin yesterday apparently. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Skulking around the chiller and freezer cabinets in the supermarkets is postive bliss these days.

Reply to
Andrew

I once left the fridge door open in an old static van for a fortnight....the years lecy bill was extortionate

Reply to
Jimbo in Bracknell ....

In message , David writes

As I've probably said here before, when building the boat, I took the door off an old fridge, added heatsinking (?) copper rods to the icebox and added polythene sheet to drain the condensate into the salad tray.

It worked quite well as a de-humidifier. I'd have thought in this hot, humid weather you would just end up with a wet caravan floor.

Reply to
Bill

If you need me, I'll be in the server room ...

I'm surprised how many supermarkets seem to have full-store aircon.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Before the office got air-con, it could get surprisingly popular.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Any company that values the integrity of its data would only allow authorised persons into the server room.

Reply to
Andrew

1) Customers want to go there and hang around because it's nice; 2) I guess it would make shelf life of the veggies and fruit more predictable (as well as not overloading the chiller cabinets)
Reply to
Tim Watts

I work with folks from the Med.

They set the aircon to 27C

I set it to 21C

We compromise at 24C :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I prefer 18 - I wish everyone else would just wear more, I can't wear less in the office!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Many have central plant tat serves the refrigerated shelves as well as the more general environment. Hospitals too. Eg.

harry

Takes me back to the days when a couple of our labs had PDP-8's, and consequentially air-con.

Reply to
newshound

I have an aircon vent blowing down the back of my neck at 15. I've been wearing a fleece. 10ft away are people in shorts.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

So what. When you eat an ice cream the room doesn't get any cooler. When using a manual fan to fan yuor face the room doesnlt get any cooler. When the ain't arf 'ot sitcom shows someone using a large panel to move th e air about the room that doesn't make the room cooler.

When I sat in front of the freezer last night and opened the door I felt co oler especailly on my legs. I didn't feel any extra heat being generated fr om the back of the fridge heating the room up, I even measured the temperat ire behind at 39.8C and it didn't seem to increase much perhaps a 0.1 or 0.

2 when the fridge door was open.

Not many people would use a fridge to cool down a room or a caravan that is not it's aim any more than a kettle or toasters aim is the heat a room up.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I well remember going to the Haematology dept at the Heath Hospital Cardiff in 1977 for a job interview and they had installed a PDP-11 in a partitioned-off annex to the main lab.

Someone read that air-con was needed so after many rounds of meetings, hot air and bullshit, someone signed off the installation.

A 'window' air-con unit was duly installed in the glass partition wall, exhausting the hot air right into the main lab next to the Coulter Counter !!.

I remarked to the chief technician that this would keep them nice and cosy in winter but he wasn't amused. Muttered something about 'expert installation'. I pointed out that anyone with half a brain could have pointed out the folly if they has seen the 'plans'.

Problem was the only people who saw and signed off the plans were senior lab staff who were just counting the days to retirement and were utterly clueless with technology.

I didn't get the job (hooray).

Reply to
Andrew

Wow! I never saw that level of dumbness in the CEGB. A bit astonishing that the contractors did not point it out.

Reply to
newshound