OT: Is this common? Wireless phone chargers.

Do lots of phones/devices use this now? It would certainly solve the problem of wearing out the socket. I don't know why it hasn't been around longer, I had an electric toothbrush that did this TWENTY YEARS ago.

Tough Guy no. 1265

it's becoming more common but with the receiver inside the phone.

Is that a problem ?, and it woul;dn;t be solved by this device as it has to plug in to the socket. I guess you could leave it there rather than unplugging it.

The problem was getting enough current through the system to make it worthwhile, I guess there weren't any around because there weren't any mobile phones that needed them. If you think about mobiles of TWENTY YEARS ago, these things wouldn't be able to charge them very effectively.

Reply to
whisky-dave

And did your toothbrush run continually for a day or so, and recharge in an hour?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What makes you think that would cause a problem for this method of charging?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Surely that's always the case.

If it plugged into the mains it wouldn't wear out. And the thing that wears out is the microscopic plug ion the phone.

It's just magnetism isn't it? We can generate strong magnetism - think of transformers, in fact that's all this is - a transformer in 2 halves.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

No it's inside the case ;-) but the one you linked to is an addition, it can;t go inside the phone so it goes outside it.

It'# probbably blow out instead.

Maybe on some phones I don't know.

NO, you also need electrical power NOT just magnetism , magnetism can;t charge phones.

We can generate strong magnetism - think of transformers, in fact that's all this is - a transformer in 2 halves. But you need to connect the transformer too, usually the mains supply. That's why you have to plug your battery chargers into the wall socket to get the power.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes we can make really strong magnets. I remember in Beano once someone had a big magnet and he could get pulled along on his roller skates by a trolley bus. So that proves it.

But... whoops! If it's done by magnets won't the cars get pulled downwards enough to break their springs? And what if someone in the power station mixes up the red and black wires? Won't all the cars in the whole country shoot off into space? I don't think it's practical, or safe.

Fred

Reply to
Bill Wright

Has your car ever swerved into a substation? They have huge electromagnets.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Is that the same reason that I sometimes swereve into a pub :)

It's only the earths magnasism that keeps our cars from floating off into space ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Should you consider buying this, consider that it is only the receiver. You will need the electromagnetic transmitter as a separate item.

I know nothing of the tech details and I will assume they are frequency dependant in that, they may not charge via a 50hz standard mains transformer.

In fact, I decided to look and found on page...

..in which is stated..,

'The frequency used for Qi chargers is located between about 110 and

205 kHz for the low power Qi chargers up to 5 watts and 80-300 kHz for the medium power Qi chargers.'

I think a small solar panel would be better. Some can be folded for carrying, as a heavy cloth and, can be draped on the shoulder while charging.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

How does it stay on?

It'd have a transformer (or modern equivalent) silly.

Every one I've had has worn, that's the first thing to go unless you smash the screen.

Magnetism for the wireless transfer.

Yes, the pad goes into the mains and the phone has the other half inside.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

the fact that it does

tim

Reply to
tim.....

There is no limit to magnetic wireless transmission, as proved by substations.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

but there is a limit to the practicality of providing such a system on your kitchen table (or wherever)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Why?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Noticed IKEA are now building the Q1 chargers into some lamps and furniture.

Built into bedside lamps seems a good move

Reply to
Robert

double sided tape most likely.

so it wouldn't be connected to the mains, you'd connect it to the charger.

I've no experience of this happening on any phone I've heard of. I've heard about it on laptops even repaired a few, mostly the old power books from the mid 90s, before Apple introduce the magnetic power connectors.

to wirelessly transfer what exactly.

yes and the 'power' put into your battery comes from the mains supply not the magnets.

Reply to
whisky-dave

What makes you think it wouldn't? Do you have a clue how it works?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My car has a built in wireless phone charger ... however my phone would need a 'wireless charging back' almost £50 Plus then then the standard phone cases will not fit.

Be OK when phones build in this capability as standard - but not yet.

Reply to
rick