[OT] Is the Brittanica with today's Sunday Times the full thing?

Today (Sunday November 19th) the Sunday Times advertises that it is giving away a copy of Encyclopaedia Brittanic on CD.

Is this the full text of the hard copy version?

If it is the full text then is access restricted in any way?

For example: being time limited, or shortened articles, or being just a front end to the Brittanica website, or needing subscription charges at a later date, etc.

Reply to
Andy

Very often you can get older versions of very good programmes for free. I don't know about this as so much of the older info in it is likely to be all most people will ever need.

I have the 2001 deluxe and seldom use it, so I am not even tempted. I'm not knocking it but it feels very Win 9x. A copy of the new version is =A360. Maybe that has a better layout but I doubt it. Other versions are available online:

only get fed 10 lines of info with a lot of adverts and stuff per page IIRC. Perhaps the Times version will have the same problem. As the net is stuffed with lots of up to date stuff the Enc Brit has to get itself covered or go under.

The book sets are extraordinarily pricey and they are aimed at a different niche. But the thing is, getting the disks out might encourage some to buy the book sets.

Even the 1911 version is available for free. (Why would anyone want to access that?)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The latest Encyclopaedia Britannica 2007 Ultimate Reference Suite DVD costs about 60GBP so I would say that this Sunday Times gift is a cut down version, probably an "Ultimate Reference Suite" version on CD, which is worth about 5GBP.

Reply to
Curious

The TV advert referred to the 'Family' version, or somesuch.

Reply to
kevallsop

Reasearch into what people thought/believed the world was like at the turn of the last centuary? Things were very different back then...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I notice that annoyingly, you get the first 75 words of any article. Apparently for $70 a year, you get the full thing, advertising free. Includes a free trial!

Reply to
The Prose

Don't rush to buy it guys.

What you get is a CD entitled Parent Power which includes:

"free copies to download of Brittanica's 2007 Family Encyclopedia, with a comprehensive dictionary and a wealth of maps and video material from the Encyclopedia Brittanica archive, a SmartPass dramatised audiobook of Jane Austen's Pride and Predjudice and KS3 Science and GCSE French and Maths revision guides from Collins"

Then predictably " You can also get big discounts etc................."

Reply to
Mackem

I have the 1957 Chambers (I bought it at a sealed bid auction. I really wanted the 1954 Britannica, but got outbid for that).

It makes absolutely fascinating reading.

Reply to
Huge

What a load of tosh they are offering. Seemed too good to be true.

Although some free magazine cover disks can contain quite decent material, it seems that today's SUnday Times disk is not one of them.

:-(

Reply to
Sam Poe

Download it from Limewire.

Reply to
djc

Not such a bad deal for something that comes free with a newspaper.

Just my £0.02 ... or should that be £0.00?

;-)

Reply to
Tony Polson

Why not just use Wikipedia and the Web? If it's in Britannica it'll be out there somewhere, more up to date at that.

HLAH

If you join Manchester Library (you don't have to live there) you can get online access to Britannica and various other reference volumes, free. See

JohnT

The Prose

At two quid a times.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

HLAH

I know. I read about them on Wikipedia

Reply to
Schrodinger

Two quid for all that software ... exactly what is your problem?

Presumably, for the princely sum of £2, you expect Microsoft Office

2007 and Windows Vista thrown in as well?

;-)

Reply to
Tony Polson

Reply to
Handy

Well, you didn't think all the steam engines in the Manchester Museum Of Science And Indystry were working to no purpose did you? :-)

Reply to
Stimpy