OT Irish Border

When you look at the freight ferry routes, it looks like most Irish stuff goes to Northern Ireland and thence to the UK, Belfast/Liverpool.

The ports with direct freight link to the continent seem very small. Even the ports with a link to the UK are small.

Now that, I suppose, is the real reason they want a "frictionless" border. They would have massive expenditure to increase their port sizes.

So, post no deal Brexit, they are f***ed.

They really need to be more polite to us.

Reply to
harry

Judging by this post you do not know the meaning of polite!

Reply to
Broadback

Sorry how does that work? Most things will simply be bonded, IE in transit through a non eu country and sealed by customs at one end and the seal only broken at the other. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Commerce doesn?t have to go on a ro ro ferry, other types of ship are in use all the time. You need to consider all types of Port and the shipping that uses it ,not just what tourists see when they they take their car on a touring holiday and share the decks with a couple of lorries.

If at the moment if for example 100 containers go Ireland -UK -Continent and in future they are redirected to Ireland - Continent how come they are going to need more room , do the containers double in size or something?

Why? Ireland tends to get a more sympathetic ear amongst the nations of the world for historical reasons because the UK or more often the Orrible English are seen as a domineering bully over the poor downtrodden Irish . The Irish will still be part of a large alliance of European nations which many in the UK have been rude to for years and delight in doing so, they also still garner a lot of sympathy from their influential brethren on the other side of the Atlantic so the UK could end up a bit isolated. While it may be possible to be rude to states like Belgium who nobody really worries about a UK once again throwing its weight around towards Ireland may end up being the one having to mind its Ps and Qs. The very fact that it is Ireland having such an influence on the outcome of Brexit shows how much their opinion is now considered, when you were younger would have been f*ck of home paddy with you shovel we?ll call you when the next bit of Motorway need building. They don?t need to take that shit no more .

GH

Reply to
Marland

post 'hard' brexit there may not be any 'massive grants' available.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The EUSSR has no money, just spends other people's money It won't be our money at least.

But then when we leave, the EUSSR will hopefully collapse. They'll be needing lots to try to bail out their failed banks. We need to be well clear of the coming debacle.

Reply to
harry

Because, shit-fer-brains, they send their stuff by road container to Belfast. Their own ports are small. Especially the ones linked to the EUSSR. As are the French ports facing them.

Stuff goes Dover/Calais via the Chunnel mostly I 'spect.

Reply to
harry

They need us much less than we need them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I love proof by assertion.

Actually no, the emperors new clothes applies, We need Europe, Europe needs us.,

NO ONE needs the EU.

And that is why they are so scared of Brexit and are bluffing it out.

we are the little boy who has shown them in their true light.

All European co-operation could be done by mutual consent where its of mutual benefit. You only need the EU to IMPOSE what people DO NOT want.

And its being understood that means the EU is essentially defunct and without any value except to people who find that making other nations do what they do not want is to *their* advantage.

Mainly global corporations who want a captive market and a market that is mandated by government regulation and subsidised by the taxpayer.

E.g. Wind farms. Costs ever EU citizen probably around £1000 a year and benefits no one except those who build house or own them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

More oral foam.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why don?t you use your noddle and look properly,

You as an arrogant Englishman probably hold the view that the Irish are thick but they actually are not, If you pals idea to block the landbridge took place all they would have to do is switch the containers to a feeder container ship, a large proportion of goods already goes to the continent that way anyway. Ohh look about a minute ontweb shows

Left Waterford this morning bound for Rotterdam , That?s a small port isn?t it.sometimes they will go to Le Havre ,that?s hardly a small port either .

She can carry about 850 TEU which is a lot less than the big ones from the Far East but heck a of a lot more than you fit on the back of lorries on a ro ro ferry and she shuttles back and forth regularly and there are lots more doing it. Leaving Cork in this video.

But I expect as usual you will get abusive and deny facts as you cannot handle reality.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Err, where have they tried to stop this? What they have done is tell May in no uncertain terms that she can't cherry pick the bits she wants to keep. Which she was told from the off. Although Brexiteers said how easy it would be as they need us more than we need them. Been proved rather wrong again, haven't they?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I often wonder if he's just trying to persuade himself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Have you fallen out with your pal Farage, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

And???? One foreign ship has absolutely nothing to do with the argument

Reply to
harry

More 'ad hominem' 'proof by assertion'

Terribly low educational standrards amonmgst remoaners. Must be the 'Blair generation'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that with or without our £39bn divorce settlement?

Basically if they don't get that it leaves -9bn for infratsructure projects

and £30bn is heathrow runway and HS2 = not a lot.

And ports dont get built overnight,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What, you think there is only one and like Plastic Coffee cups they are single use, They sail back and forth regularly. That one Port handles 45,000 TEUs a year. Closing the UK landbridge could easily be circumvented. The best thing about that it might make their f****ng travellers find it harder to get here. That alone would be worth it.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Not with that international joke, Quisling May, doing all the talking. Who would respect a piss-weak, whining bitch like her?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well, all the big Italian banks are living on borrowed time, as are Deutschebank and Commerzbank in Germany. So yeah, we definitely don't want to be on the hook when the bill comes due to bail out that bunch of crooks!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom