OT: Irish border.

+1
tim

On Friday, 21 September 2018 09:46:43 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:

50% of Irish exports are to the UK. Much more with agriculture.

You've just confirmed Ireland will suffer losses. That means we are currently supporting them.
I don't pay my taxes to support the Irish- or other foreigners- I want my taxes spent in the UK, to further the interests/benefit UK citizens.
I'm happy to help in times of emergency etc, just not keep funding countries that should be able to look after themselves.
HTH
--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:

How on earth did you read that into it?

Which would you rather have? An income of 50 grand where 5 grand went to supporting others - or an income of 40 grand that you kept to yourself?

I'd try reading my post again. Slowly. Anything you don't understand ask for an explanation.
--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

RoI will suffer hugely from a no deal (more than any other EU country)
why it persists in trying to back us into a corner over this single issue, is very strange
tim

I think you will find that you are wrong. There are already plans afoot to improve Irelands ports, notably Cork and this will include more upgrades in the roads.
The road system is the main obstacle to Irelands manufacturing capabilities.
High value low mass items are produced in Ireland currently, things that can be transported easily by air. Ireland is a major pathway to Europe for the American pharmaceutical companies and things can only get better after Britain leaves the EU.
Europe looks after it's own!
AB
On 21/09/2018 12:50, tim... wrote:

We owe Ireland nothing. They did little to stop the IRA, quite the converse, we should stop the special arrangements we have with them and let them wither.
--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:

Don't you listen to the Brexiteers on here? They all want zero controls on imports to the UK. We can buy from anywhere in the world.
But don't seem to know how we will pay for that.
--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 14:40:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've not seen any of them say that, not even Harry.

Well large loans have been the way in the recent past, how will those in the UK be able to afford a house ?
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 00:14:16 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Alternatively, Northern Ireland and Ireland could unite.
I know which is more likely - even moderate protestants in NI are leaning that way, it seems.

As part of the UK, or independant?

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

NI would never survive as an independent country
it is too small an entity to cope with the problems of sectarian divide
What it needs is the Baarle-Hertog solution. Each house or street that contains a prottie is part of the UK and each house or street that contains catholics becomes part of RoI.
tim

Eh? A united Ireland, but NI independent? ;-)

What makes you think it is entirely a religion thing? Especially since so many no longer practice any religion?
--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

sorry, I misread the earlier post
tim

because, basically, it is

but they are generally still republicans or nationalists based upon their family's historic religious upbringing.
tim
On 21/09/18 17:09, tim... wrote:

It is rather more that at some point in History when England and Wales had ginbe pretestanbtm, te Irish had not until some fairly draconian measures associated with William of Orange, a Dutchman brought in to replace the end of the Catholic Stewart line.
Politics and conquest.
That happened to be assocaited with religion.

# No, based on their descent from different sections of society, just as teh likes of Our Dave 's resentments stem from the Norman Conquest when toffs spoke french and owned everything and anglo saxons got fucked over.

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

Not just different sections, different countries (though perhaps not if you look further back than people remember).
--

Roger Hayter

No it's not. It is a tribe thing.
--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 11:03:26 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

NI becomes part of Ireland if a vote held under the GFA terms was in favour.

does RoI not get a choice whether it wants to accept it?
tim