OT: Irish border.

Just thought of a way round this. Ireland also leaves the EU - and the UK indemnifies it against any financial losses thus caused. After all, we're going to be rich when out of the EU. Simples.
--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Oh how I wish that would work...
Ireland is going to benefit from english speaking american firms moving from Britain so as to be inside the EU, but lose from the chaos of the EU border with the north which both must be there and must not be there.
I blame Cameron for his referendum campaign, and Boris and co and the newspapers for their misleading Brexit campaign.
I dont blame the Leave voters who believed their newspapers that Leave would be easy and beneficial.
And yesterday they were mocking Vince Cable (the economist who predicted the last crash) for mispronouncing a stupid erotic spasm soundbite someone wrote for him.
And I feel a smidgen of pity for Theresa May who's trying to hold her party together in impossible times.
[George]
On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 12:14:24 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

On 21/09/18 09:46, George Miles wrote:

Nothing to do with why I voted. I view the EU as an expansionist bullying federal superstate with long term dangerous tendencies.

My feelings exactly. The EU should have stayed as a common market, without all the unified legal system that has been foisted on us since we voted to join in the mid 70s. It should also have remained as a union of western European countries of similar standards of living, to avoid problems of economic migration, with people allowed to work in a country that pays very high wages and then send that money back to their own home country where it has much greater buying power.
I had hoped that our politicians (Maggie especially, who was a force to be reckoned with) would have argued against the trend of greater European sovereignty and loss or our own, because it is always best to fight from within. But given that this has proved not to be possible, I think we *may* have made the right decision to jump ship. Thank goodness we never adopted the Euro.
I'm very pro-Europe, but I'm also very anti-EU. There *is* a difference between the two, a point which a lot of Remainers seem to miss.
I don't blame Cameron for having the referendum. It was right to give the public the vote. But we need politicians who then deliver what the public want, not a worst-of-all-worlds solution which we look as if we are going to end up with. Ideally the deal should have been hammered out long before the referendum so we knew the *full* implications of voting to leave.

Does that mean Scotland has the same legal system as England, then? England the same as France? Has anyone told them this?
--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

On Friday, 21 September 2018 15:33:38 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

why should all countries be the same , they aren't now so why should they be ?

I think that is the point; no-one, not even the evil EU, has suggested that they should. Is this sort of thing not called a straw man?
--

Roger Hayter

On 21/09/18 17:03, Roger Hayter wrote:

Oh, but the EU wants them to be.
Homogenised.
Its been stated many times that this is how you stop another European War.
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

That hasn’t been stated by anyone who matters.

So the Brexiteer's chant about bringing back control and having secure borders just another lie?
--
*Avoid clich?s like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

That might be your Brexiter's chant.
Many Brexiters don't have an issue with borders as the right to work in the UK can be policed in other ways.

Yes of course. No more cash in hand jobs etc. And we have no need to try and stop terrorists or illegals walking in. We can leave that to others to do for us.
--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

More project fear. Bexiteers claim to know more about the EU's plans than the EU itself does.
--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

<snip> > Bexiteers claim to know more about the EU's plans than

You talk so much nonsense by putting words in the mouth of people you despise.

Maybe so. But this subthread is based on:
which says:
"My feelings exactly. The EU should have stayed as a common market, without all the unified legal system that has been foisted on us since we voted to join in the mid 70s."
--

Roger Hayter

On 22/09/2018 11:12, Roger Hayter wrote:

That was snipped many posts ago. I still don't see what that has to do with "Bexiteers claim to know more about the EU's plans than the EU itself does". A different POV has been put forward using the word "should".
Perhaps the poster is right, if the integration was slower we would remain a happy family. Change has to be gradual to become accepted.

The point is that no-one of importance has suggested a change in legal *system*. If they (whether EU or a UK government) did so (and note we have a two different systems in Great Britain) I would share your concerns about a fascist dictatorship being planned. Consider, for instance, what is happening to the judicial system in Poland.
--

Roger Hayter

Quite. All the headline talk about 'sovereignty' and so on just designed to wind up Express readers even more. And allow them to think it means anything they fear it could.
Can you really see the likes of France changing its culture etc just because the EU said so? Or any other country, come to that.
Of course there needs to be common laws and standards for trade and services etc. And an arbiter for any disputes arising from that. Leaving any dispute up to individual courts in the countries concerned only would be great for lawyers, but no one else.
--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Not always. Germany saw very quick change after the war had ended and accepted that very well indeed. In spades with their reunification.

You claim to know who I despise now? Is there any limit to a Brexiteer's crystal ball?
--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *