OT: installing a networked printer

BTW, the Smoothwall firewall software comes with dnsmasq, so you can combine all of this into one box. I also have the Smoothwall on a "smart" mains switch, so if any of the desktops are switched on, all the associated gubbins is powered up (hub, print server and so on).

Reply to
Huge

So does the OP... ! ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

It may be the jet direct cartridge you have is too old to have a built in web server...

You are not missing much!

Things like routers, printers, and servers are often fixed. For ordinary workstation PCs there is rarely a need for unless you are running servers on them, and even then it depends a bit on the sophistication of your router.

Some routers handle DHCP in a more sophisticated way than others. The best will associate a particular device with an IP address and then let you manage it as a device by name - allowing forwarding rules[1] etc to be created per device, and making sure that the same device is always re-allocated the same IP. Less good ones will not recognise devices by name, but will attempt to pair mac addresses and IP addresses so the relationship remains the same. Here forwarding rules have to be done via IP rather than device name. The weakest implementations will not maintain any long term memory of mac/ip address relationships. Here each time a device disconnects and reconnects it may get a different ip address (these implementations are rare now fortunately)

[1] Forwarding is handy when you want a PC hiding behind a NAT router to be able to receive unsolicited incoming requests - you can say to the router "if you get an incoming request for this port number, please forward it to this machine (or ip address).

Indeed.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think so but I never did get past page 1 of dummies for networking :)

but only some routers? My 3 little domestic (1 US Robotics and 2 x Netgears) don't support BOOTP. And it looks as if Lobster's WRT54G don't (judging by the absence of any mention of BOOTP in the specs, and by the account at

of "Configuring an old Jetdirect BootP/NPI printserver".)

Reply to
neverwas

Very happy with my new printer now; there's one wrinkle I wonder if someone could advise on?

My previous printer, an Epson inkjet, had a checkbox for 'Print Preview' on the print options dialogue window, which meant I could force a print preview every time I printed something - prevented a hell of a lot of wasted paper and ink eg when I was trying to print 2-up or something. I can't see any option even to do a print preview with my LaserJet, let alone force one: is that just a function of the printer driver and I have to live with?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Basically yup. Might be worth downloading the latest set of drivers for it from the HP site - you may find they have added some extra bells and whistles...

Reply to
John Rumm

Lobster coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi

I'm trying to remember if the Laserjet 5 jetdirect thingy actually had a built in web server. Possibly it didn't, thinking about it. Generally most networked printers for that last 5+ years pretty much show up a web page that let's you configure stuff, and HP have been doing it longer than 5 years as standard, but maybe not that long...

Well, your router *must* have a fixed IP address, or it's not going to be much use as a router.

It's better for your sanity to stick a few things on fixed addresses if they are permanant fixtures - you might want to do a Terminal Services connection to your PC and that's easier if you know where it is...

Also makes it possible to set up more selective firewall rulles if you want.

I fix all my stuff down (even laptops) and leave a random pool availavle on DHCP if I bring any "foreign" equipment home.

Yes, it's a good idea.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I've got 8 on this LAN without problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's the same card as the LaserJet 4+, of which I have several. No, no web server - but you can Telnet into it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

See:

Bob Eager

Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

I remember that now...

Reply to
Tim S

I've had nearly 80 in the days before dhcp..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Marconi at New Street in Chelmsford used to run whole site on fixed IP addresses - attempting to keep track of it all with an IP yellow pages. Hundreds of PCs, Suns, Vaxes the lot. Bit of a dog's breakfast it was!

Reply to
John Rumm

Jesus, an IP dicksize war.

Reply to
Huge

;-)

I did wonder what you meant, though. With my four Windose machines you just set them to 'auto' and they work just fine on the LAN and talk to one another too. Even to one running Win 98.

But no chance with the RISC OS ones. However, going to fixed IP addresses for all makes things just tickety boo. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you set a nice long DHCP lease time, you will likely end up with nearly unchanging IP addresses.

If you associate MAC addresses with IP addresses you end up with unchanging IP addresses. (Though if you have multiple network connections on a box - maybe you have wired and wireless - the effective IP address of the machine might switch between them depending upon connection.)

And if you do either of these you can change most of the IP addresses on your network from within the router (plus some reboots) - and yet have almost all the advantages of fixed IP addresses.

Reply to
Rod

I heard once of someone trying to do a huge IP rejig by tweaking DHCP, but because of the long lease times he couldn't afford to wait for the leases to renew.

He also didn't want to visit each computer, printer etc. in the whole several floors of building to reboot it - he was in overnight to sort it all out anyway and it would have taken much too long.

So he power cycled the building.

Reply to
PCPaul

And the damned laptops kept running... :-)

Reply to
Rod

I've done that with an almost full Class C network. You simply reconfigure the DHCP server's lease time down as you approach the cutover, so no one gets a lease which straddles the cutover. ISTR we did the cutover in about

10 minutes, and I suspect that was mostly down to expiring cached yellow pages hosts entries, and expiring cached ARP entries for systems which don't do gratuitous ARP broadcast when they change their IP address. There were a few computers around running applications which didn't cope with the system's IP address changing (i.e. app reads IP address at start and assumes it will never change), but other than that, it all worked fine. I don't recall that we had to reboot any of the OS's, and there was quite a range of different Windows and Unix systems running. (There were a couple of old SCO unix systems which didn't do DHCP and had to be manually fixed up.)
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

'S what I did with my network printer.

Then... change the range over which the router will serve IP addresses to avoid problems - in your case, set it to serve 192.168.0.2->192.168.0.149

If you mean that you want the portable kit to obtain an IP from a DHCP server *wherever* they're used, then yes.

Reply to
Mike Dodd