OT I'm Needin' Your Help Again Please !

Hi Everyone,

I know that this is off topic, but surely someone will point me in the right direction without too much flaming.

I have a Yamaha PSR-275 Keyboard which I purchased a few years ago and have just started to play it. It has Midi In/Out sockets on the back so I purchased a Midi - USB cable to connect it to the PC.

What I want now is some software.

Can anyone recommend any please. ?

Kindest regards

James

PS Hope ya all have a great CHRISTMAS and a very happy and peaceful 2009

Reply to
the_constructor

See;

the wrap.

Don

Reply to
Don

are free.

Reply to
dennis

The USB/MIDI interface which I bought a few years ago came bundled with various bits of software - including Cakewalk Express, which I use quite a lot.

You haven't said exactly what you want to achieve - there are lots of possibilities! Just some are:

  • creating and printing sheet music - from MIDI keyboard or computer keyboard input (e.g. Finale, Sibelius, Capella)
  • creating musical notation by scanning existing printed music (e.g. Capella Scan)
  • creating MIDI files from computer-based music notation (Finale, Sibelius, Capella, etc. again)
  • editing MIDI files and optimising them for playing on a particular MIDI keyboard (e.g. Cakewalk, Cubase)

My main requirement is to scan choral music and produce MIDI files which I can play on my Roland keyboard, and record onto CDs, with individual voice parts emphasised to assist my choir to learn new music. I use Capella Scan to scan the music and convert it to musical notation (using an OCR-like process), Capella to produce MIDI files, and Cakewalk to adjust and sequence the MIDI files - oh, and for good measure, WavePad to record the audio output from the MIDI keyboard and produce .MP3 or .WAV files which I can burn onto CDs.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I bought a PSR-290 keyboard for the kids a couple of years ago; it's connected via a USB Yamahaa MIDI interface to their PC, which has an old version of Sibelius, which they've used for their GCSE music. However I've never managed to get the PC and keyboard talking to each other; TBH I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be able to achieve! Am I right in thinking that the keyboard ought to be able to play tunes they've composed in Sibelius? Or that if they play tunes on the keyboard, then Sibelius should convert them to a score? That's what I thought, anyway...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yep, it should work either way - a score in Sibelius will play on the keyboard - and as you play on the keyboard it should write into a score. Mind you, with a half decent sound card and some reasonable speakers you'll probably get a better sound out of the PC than the keyboard - and via midi you can control and use the PC sounds from the keyboarc.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

We bought a copy of Cubasis off ebay a few years ago as that's what their school was using. It was intended to replace an old copy of Cakewalk that someone had donated to us, but personally I still prefer Cakewalk

The one I would love to have is Sibelius, as that comes with PhotoScore which allows you to scan sheet music and convert it into midi files.

However, Sibelius comes at a very high price, whereas Cubasis can be got for much less second hand.

I have recently downloaded a freeware program called Audiveris which claims to convert scanned images to midi.

OG

?
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Thanks. So is setting it up supposed to be pretty straightforward, like most other peripherals etc you'd hook up to a PC? It's so long since I tried doing it I can't remember exactly what the problem was... I do recall the MIDI interface being recognised by the PC and installing drivers etc but to no avail.

Reply to
Lobster

It's not always straightforward setting it all up, sometimes you get port issues and nothing seems to work - though this might be more to do with Sibelius than the computer. A good place to start is to ensure your midi port is enabled ( might be in the BIOS or on the soundcard ).

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

More or less - although to get a decent score by playing on the keyboard you need to be *extremely* accurate with your timing. Quantisation helps, but only if there's not too wide a range of note lengths - or any triplets - in the piece.

With regard to getting the keyboard to talk to the computer, I presume you are taking account of the fact that the computer's MIDI OUT goes to the keyboard's MIDI IN, and vice versa?

Reply to
Roger Mills