OT: how to get the covers off an HP Deskjet 5850 printer?

I need to use my HP Deskjet 5850 in an area with poor WLAN coverage so want to get the covers off to see if it's possible to modify it to attach an external antenna. Any suggestions on how to remove its clothes without breaking anything?

Dave

(alternatively, does anyone know how the WLAN interface is implemented in the 5850 - is it a standard PCMCIA card?)

Reply to
NoSpam

Angle Grinder

Reply to
RW

ask here, huge diy forum:

Emil Tiades

moron

Reply to
Emil Tiades

In message , RW writes

And I resisted saying that

It was hard, but I did

Reply to
geoff

Nah Geoff.....Go with the flow lol!!!

Reply to
RW

Actually blow torch would have been more entertaining.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Has anyone considered a big 'ommer?

Reply to
1501

My experience of such things is that they are held together by plastic prongs that spring in to recesses when put together and it can be a bugger to get them apart .have a look inside where the workings are and see if you can see where such prongs reside .You need to be careful as they are easily broken . I presume you have checked for screws hidden under rubber bungs .

Reply to
stillnobodyhome

Ommer??

Ain't that an American Large SUV

Reply to
RW

IED

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I missed the original post, but try the following...

Remove any screws in the case that you can find, including under rubber feet as another poster advised and then try pinging the front of the printer's case off the rest of it by springing it towards you, from the lower case front. I have an HP 5L that comes apart this way to get to the paper rollers. I didn't break any of the case, so don't be too worried about it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave