OT: how long do you have to wait for a TV part these days?

(Sorry if this is OT, but I notice there are a lot of knowledgable people here, so I reckon this is as good a place as any to post).

For three weeks now, I've been waiting for a local TV repairer to return my television, a five-year-old Hitachi model, but every time I ring him, I get an excuse. The last few times, it's been: "I'm waiting for a part to come in".

So, can anyone here tell me if it's at all likely, in these days of getting supplies via the Internet, that you'd have to wait this long for a part, even though it's for a five-year-old TV?

Also, I'd be grateful for any advice as to what to do in a case like this. I've thought of just telling him to return the set as it is, but I've already paid him =A352 for a repair he did just days before he took the set away again (a repair that, obviously, didn't work), and I don't think he'd refund that.

I don't want to mess around with threatening legal action or anything, but the way he's messing me about, I can see myself without the TV at Christmas.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Reply to
ken

For three weeks now, I've been waiting for a local TV repairer to return my television, a five-year-old Hitachi model, but every time I ring him, I get an excuse. The last few times, it's been: "I'm waiting for a part to come in".

So, can anyone here tell me if it's at all likely, in these days of getting supplies via the Internet, that you'd have to wait this long for a part, even though it's for a five-year-old TV?

Also, I'd be grateful for any advice as to what to do in a case like this. I've thought of just telling him to return the set as it is, but I've already paid him £52 for a repair he did just days before he took the set away again (a repair that, obviously, didn't work), and I don't think he'd refund that.

I don't want to mess around with threatening legal action or anything, but the way he's messing me about, I can see myself without the TV at Christmas.

Any advice would be very welcome.

I guess it depends upon the part. If it is a single component that is going to be fitted to a circuit board then there will be difficulties in finding a substitute. If it is a complete genuine circuit board then it might have to be sourced from the manufacturer in Japan or wherever - after the order has gone through many hands.

I imagine most TVs are made from a relatively small number of sub assemblies. None of which are made by Hitachi. (Modern times)

Reply to
John

Ring up Hitachi's customer service, explain the situation to them (including the possibility no TV set over Christmas) and ask whether there are any reasons that your repairer is not able to get replacement parts. Maybe they, on your behalf, will work with the repairer to get the parts sent and your TV fixed. If your repairer is slacking and telling fibs, the phone call from Hitachi might spur some action anyway.

Ultimately you should put your foot down for a loan set, if it's not looking hopeful.

Reply to
Adrian C

[...]

Offer to help him find the parts. Tell him you have internet connection, and can find all sorts of parts and components if he wants help to find them.

Then ask if it is possible to have the television brought back before Christmas. Working properly if possible.

It then depends on his answers to your questions. If he is genuine, he'll probably apologise for the delay and tell you exactly what is happening at his side of things. It may be that the part has to come directly from the makers, or has to be parceled from some obscure region of the planet.

Has he given a price estimate for the new repair? Or is he worried that he is loosing money for a repair that didn't last the guarantee he give? Maybe if you offer to pay for the new part(s), he'll be more helpful.

Reply to
BigWallop

In article , ken writes

Ask him what the part is and report back. Someone will post to say whether it's commonly available or not. If it's the line output transformer he's waiting for, those can be difficult to obtain, and very expensive: almost certainly more than the set is worth, unless you are very attached to it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It's impossible to generalise. Some parts will be specific to that model and may have to come from a main supplier - even the factory. And he might well be using the cheapest source which could send things via a slow but cheap route.

But you could always ask him what the part is and contact Hitachi UK yourself to see if he's trying it on.

Dave Plowman (News)

Just to say thanks to everyone for all your advice.

Reply to
ken

ken wrote on 05/12/2008 :

Normal parts can be obtained the next or same day. If its a specific part to the set that has to be imported, then that could take a week or more, depending on supplies.

Personally, I would not consider getting a set repaired these days with parts and labour being so expensive. They are so cheap and if you have had five years you could say it owes you not very much.

Why not ask him for a loan TV, or scrap it and buy new?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Five years ago Hitachi were selling fairly expensive Plasma flat screens. My web spider sense is suggesting the OP is suffering faults with one of these.

Reply to
Adrian C