OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

Eureka!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If you'd been at Camelot last weekend you wouldn't think that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh, nice one!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I like that too.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:50:39 +0100, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

I wouldn't mind your inane ramblings if you had something useful to say once in a while. Until such time as you do start actually providing helpful responses kindly refrain from posting utter nonsense.

Reply to
Lurch

I don't mind inane ramblings either, which is why I read all yours ... :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 21 Jul 2004, Andy Hall wrote

Screw Archimedes....

:)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:50:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

But my inane comments are usually interspersed with helpful advice, where's yours?

Reply to
Lurch

Mr Pole!!!! ??????????????

Reply to
IMM

Excellent!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

BMI (body mass index) = weight_(in kg) / (height (in cm) squared)

BMI < 18.5 underweight 18.5 - 24.9 Normal 25 - 29.9 Overweight > 30 Obese

Figures for women may vary

Reply to
Nick Brooks

That's not quite the right formula. It's weight in kg divided by (height in metres squared).

Also, it is only a fairly crude measure because the medical impact depends very much on the distribution of the weight on the person.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oops my mistake

Indeed, and it doesn't take into account any other factors that affect health such as exercise, diet, smoking, hereditary conditions etc etc etc but it does give A definition of obese

Reply to
Nick Brooks

that's the answer that I thought would come back.

The problem with BMI can be shown by the fact that Mr Schwarzenegger's well publicised vital stats from his competing days put him into the category of "Obese", all of the sprinters in the forthcoming Olympics will probably also be in that category!

So, guess which indicator our wonderful government uses to tell us all there's a growing obesity problem....

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

So which indicator do you suggest would be better? Remembering, of course, that the actual body measurements used must be simple, quick and cheap, if GP's and Joe Public is to use them.

Regards, VivienB

Reply to
VivienB

The latest issue of Men's Health has just this point in it. Jonny Wilkinson et al all being examples of 'obesity' based upon this simplistic formula.

Shano

Reply to
Shano

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:27:29 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

And while we're on the subject, you can f*ck right off as well.

There, I like having public rants on newsgroups, seem to be doing quite a bit of it lately though, ah well, worse things happen at sea and all that malarkey.

Reply to
Lurch

Definitely.

Yes there is. Medicare and Medicaid, for those who need it.

I fundamentally don't buy into the notion that the state has to be in the healthcare business. It does not do it well.

Just like here. One should *always* check the credentials of any clinician.

Less than here, and actually considerably less than here when the compound taxes applied to health insurance and the money wasted via NI contributions are taken into account.

Paid for by the insurance. This is artificial anyway. They have a high list price, and the insurers receive an enormous discount, so it is irrelevant.