OT: How come no one has mentioned...

Sorry, which one is poor value for money and driven by morons?

It's a shame really I think some beemers are quite decent, but so many idiots do drive them. And just for a little story - guy at my office bought one. He *wasn't* an idiot. Before. When I went round to his house a year later, I thought "What's that on the back wheels? A bird can't possible have messed there". Closer inspection showed it to be canvas. He said he thought it was getting a bit tail happy!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , Andy Hall writes

because of the bumpf in the brochure ...

Reply to
geoff

Their motorbikes are much better though...

I've had two.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You think having to recall and fix a life threatening fault impressive? No wonder you like BMWs. ;-)

Just think about how long someone has been driving around in a dangerous car that could have killed anyone including pedestrians. How much confidence do you have that they didn't leave it until most of the cars had been scrapped just to save a few quid?

Reply to
dennis

Really? I've just bought one - it's a '96 525 TDSE 'Tourer'. It has 190,000 miles on the clock and the engine practically purrs at

70mph. The handling is superb, the response is impressive and it's a fun car to drive ( which isn't bad, for an estate ). Bodywork is very good - just a small patch of surface rust on the offside rear wheel arch where it had a small scrape - and the usual collection of stone dings here and there. I get about 35mpg around the country lanes, and around 40mpg on longer runs - which seems quite good for such a capacious vehicle - and at 70mph on a motorway it's rock-solid and practically purrs.

I have a letter from the previous owner from BMW...it was subject to a product recall last year due to a problem with the steering lock. BMW tracked the then current owner ( presumably through the DVLA ) and had the lock fixed at their expense...which is pretty impressive considering many cars of that age are resting in peace on scrap heaps.

The build quality is equal to that of my Audi A6 estate ( 2.6 V6 ) of the same year - but the BMW has more room internally, handles better, returns more MPG and is laid out far more intuitively on the dash.

My mechanic reckons that with scant care I should get another 50,000 miles out of it, and with a little regular maintenance around 100,000.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Don't be daft, these happen all the time. Since when has anything been build perfect and just so. When I had my Audi A6 there was a recall about the airbag and the Volvo had a recall about heating elements in the seats . It happens to most all vehicles from time to time.

And if you had that much idea about Automobiles you'd realise the loosest nut is always the one behind the wheel!.......

Reply to
tony sayer

Do you really think BMW will take any notice of one letter from one owner that will cause any investigation? You are in a different world if you do.

Reply to
dennis

You've never had a car MOT'd then?

That's potentially every car ever built.

Quite a lot. I've had plenty of cars of a similar age that have developed design issue faults. One of the most spectacular was a VW Passat where an engine mount rubber failed. It allowed the engine to rotate and caused the throttle arm on the carb to lodge in the bonnet lining, the result of which was runaway acceleration.

I wrote to VW about it, got no reply. I guess they didn't think it was worth the bother, unlike BMW it seems.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

How do you know it is life threatening?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Andy, there is a strong correlation between people who think BMW cars are crap and people who can't afford to buy one. They are actually very good cars by pretty much every measure. They depreciate relatively slowly and the new diesels are very economical, so they are actually good value for money (assuming you can afford the high initial purchase price). Your comments about the drivers say more about you than the "Morons" that drive them.

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat

I think you have your attributions mixed up Andy was suggesting the Prius is crap, not the BMW...

All reasonable points...

There was a time (although not quite so much now) where an unfortunately large number of arrogant tossers seemed to gravitate to BMWs (along with a majority of sane and sensible drivers obviously). That did tend to tarnish the brand with a certain reputation.

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh, I don't know.

Do modern drivers of BMWs learn at the same school as the majority of Volvo drivers?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

so it would seem

Go and ask them all

report back when you've finished

Reply to
geoff

I dont like BMW's, but not because they are often driven by morons: I find them dully efficient. They tick all the boxes except one. I simply don't like the feel of em.

ve never ENJOYED driving one. Not in the way I used to enjoy BMC sports cars, or a land rover, or even a camper. And especially jaguars. Those all have character,. BMWS seem soulless.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BMW chavs dont care how badly they drive. Volvo owners simply have no idea how badly they drive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Humm... I sometimes drive one of they and at others an Audi, so what changes when I get into the Volvo then?...

Reply to
tony sayer

You're not quite keeping up, are you? Never mind.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

According to the blurb, and the comments on various BMW forums it was more a case of the lock sticking when parked, which was more of an inconvenience than a danger.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Quire right - apologies for the confusion.

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat

Geoff - you aren't cut out for Usenet. Too sensible...

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat