OT home networking

We have a broadband connection via Demon Internet, hard wired to four PCs via a four port broadband router. All works well, but son would like to access the outside world using his Nintendo DS Lite. It seems that Nintendo sell the gubbins, comprising a USB connector, cable and software. I know absolutely nothing about wireless connectivity, but understand that the USB device plugs into a PC, and the DS then talks to the outside world via the host PC, which is plugged into the router.
Question really is, is this the best way to go about it. Thinking ahead, wife talks vaguely about a netbook, at some point in the future, which, again, will require wireless connectivity. Could I kill two birds with one stone? Should I be looking at a wireless hub for both current DS and future netbook? Will the DS even talk to a wireless hub? Any advice appreciated.
--
Graeme, Scotland

You could get a 4 port wireless router and swap it for your current router. Or get a wireless access point to plug into your current router although that would mean losing 1 of your 4 ports. Either way the DS and future netbook would work.

I should add - I don't know what the USB connector and cable is all about. You can buy an 'ezflash' 3 in 1 device (required to run the opera web browser). That and a ROM emulator = job done. Google NDS homebrew.
Graeme wrote:

Got a feeling that the DS lite only does WEP encryption which you shouldn't use because it has been compromised (you can crack WEP encryption in a few minutes).
You should use WPA2 encryption on your wireless network. Any new netbook and or wireless router you buy will support WPA2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Makes more sense.

Yup, think that correct.

Wellllll, I think it depends on how likely it is that someone will bother to crack your encryption and the consequences of doing so.
For us the risk of the former for starters is pretty small anyway.
We happen to have two wireless routers (one was given to us to use by the ISP). One is set to use WEP, though mostly wireless is disabled. We jsut turn it on if daughter wants to try a bit of wireless gaming (which isn't often anyway)
--
Chris French

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. Reading here and Googling, I believe I can therefore buy a wireless hub to daisy chain from the current router, and connect the DS from that.

Should I read this to mean that the wireless hub is therefore WEP for all or no devices? In other words, if the hub is set to allow access to the DS, any other wireless device, such as a future netbook, will have to use WEP, with consequent security implications?
--
Graeme

they were saying:

Other way round. Put a wireless access point & DS first, then a (non- ADSL) firewall/router inside for the wired machines.

Some allow both, others allow neither.

The problem isn't any specific connection. It's that as long as you've got WEP turned on inside your firewall, you've got the potential for intruder access inside your firewall.
Graeme wrote:

You could (well a wireless access point - not a hub as such)

Yes, this is generally the case. Some wireless kit may allow you to mix encryption standards on the same WLAN, but most don't.
--
Cheers,

John.

It only takes a short time to crack WPA2 too.

How much insulation, dennis ?
--
geoff

No it doesn't as long as you use a secure enough passphrase.
Those examples on the web that I have seen of cracking WPA have all relied on a week passphrase that is easy to guess/crack
--
Chris French

chris French wrote:

No point in arguing with dennis. He is always at his rightest when he is completely wrong.

Ssh ...
it's dennis - humour him
--
geoff

That solves one of the known security problems, or at least makes it more difficult and may mean it takes a few days rather than hours. If you use that Russian software and a couple of hundred Nvidia gpus you can go through thousands of passwords a second.
Then there ids the other packet injection problem where you may be able to inject arp packets and redirect the user to a bad site, This is the worst as it shows that the encryption can be decrypted, it may only be a short time before the key can be recovered.
Graeme wrote:

I think that is how the DS lite cable works, but it seems like a poor way of doing it. The DS Lite does have a native WiFI capability, so all you need to use it is a WiFi access point or WiFi equipped router.

Not really
You will probably need to buy the browser for the DS Lite (separate from the cable anyway I understand), but then use an off the shelf router or access point.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 01:44:25 +0100, John Rumm

And / or get the new DSi and download the new Opera browser for free (that supports WPA (apparently)). ;-)
If Opera on the DSi is anything like Opera on the DS Lite I wouldn't bother (been there). If the connectivity is for playing network games it might be ok (as long as they are the games for the DSi that I believe also allow use of WPA. Older games will still use WEP).
T i m
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 00:44:25 UTC, John Rumm

I know that the DS (not sure about the DS lite) only implements WEP for security. That's why my son's DS is banned from the network...

Sure, because if he used it then everybody else would have to use WEP too. But in the OP's case, everybody else on the LAN is using an Ethernet link.
--
Les
Criticising the government is not illegal, but often on investigation turns out

Doesn't matter. The network protection is only as strong as the weakest link.
If the access point is accepting WEP, then an attacker can easily get inside the firewall, exposing those wired machines, not just the WEP- connected devices. Assuming, of course, you're not actually worried about misuse of the connection.

So anyone who can break the WEP gets access to the entire network...