OT home networking

We have a broadband connection via Demon Internet, hard wired to four PCs via a four port broadband router. All works well, but son would like to access the outside world using his Nintendo DS Lite. It seems that Nintendo sell the gubbins, comprising a USB connector, cable and software. I know absolutely nothing about wireless connectivity, but understand that the USB device plugs into a PC, and the DS then talks to the outside world via the host PC, which is plugged into the router.

Question really is, is this the best way to go about it. Thinking ahead, wife talks vaguely about a netbook, at some point in the future, which, again, will require wireless connectivity. Could I kill two birds with one stone? Should I be looking at a wireless hub for both current DS and future netbook? Will the DS even talk to a wireless hub? Any advice appreciated.

Reply to
Graeme

You could get a 4 port wireless router and swap it for your current router. Or get a wireless access point to plug into your current router although that would mean losing 1 of your 4 ports. Either way the DS and future netbook would work.

Reply to
brass monkey

I should add - I don't know what the USB connector and cable is all about. You can buy an 'ezflash' 3 in 1 device (required to run the opera web browser). That and a ROM emulator = job done. Google NDS homebrew.

Reply to
brass monkey

Got a feeling that the DS lite only does WEP encryption which you shouldn't use because it has been compromised (you can crack WEP encryption in a few minutes).

You should use WPA2 encryption on your wireless network. Any new netbook and or wireless router you buy will support WPA2.

correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

I think that is how the DS lite cable works, but it seems like a poor way of doing it. The DS Lite does have a native WiFI capability, so all you need to use it is a WiFi access point or WiFi equipped router.

You will probably need to buy the browser for the DS Lite (separate from the cable anyway I understand), but then use an off the shelf router or access point.

Reply to
John Rumm

And / or get the new DSi and download the new Opera browser for free (that supports WPA (apparently)). ;-)

If Opera on the DSi is anything like Opera on the DS Lite I wouldn't bother (been there). If the connectivity is for playing network games it might be ok (as long as they are the games for the DSi that I believe also allow use of WPA. Older games will still use WEP).

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I know that the DS (not sure about the DS lite) only implements WEP for security. That's why my son's DS is banned from the network...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Makes more sense.

Yup, think that correct.

Wellllll, I think it depends on how likely it is that someone will bother to crack your encryption and the consequences of doing so.

For us the risk of the former for starters is pretty small anyway.

We happen to have two wireless routers (one was given to us to use by the ISP). One is set to use WEP, though mostly wireless is disabled. We jsut turn it on if daughter wants to try a bit of wireless gaming (which isn't often anyway)

Reply to
chris French

Bob Eager posted

Sure, because if he used it then everybody else would have to use WEP too. But in the OP's case, everybody else on the LAN is using an Ethernet link.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

In message , chris French writes

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. Reading here and Googling, I believe I can therefore buy a wireless hub to daisy chain from the current router, and connect the DS from that.

Should I read this to mean that the wireless hub is therefore WEP for all or no devices? In other words, if the hub is set to allow access to the DS, any other wireless device, such as a future netbook, will have to use WEP, with consequent security implications?

Reply to
Graeme

The simplest way round these problems is to have a second WiFi zone with WEP enabled, but restrict its access such that it can't see the wired LAN. So the only risk you then expose, is that someone could potentially piggyback you internet connection - unwanted users would still have no access to your network resources or shared folders etc. (you can minimise that risk by winding the RF power down on that WLAN).

The main WiFi zone can have WPA2 and bridging to the LAN enabled as usual.

Reply to
John Rumm

Big Les Wade gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Doesn't matter. The network protection is only as strong as the weakest link.

If the access point is accepting WEP, then an attacker can easily get inside the firewall, exposing those wired machines, not just the WEP- connected devices. Assuming, of course, you're not actually worried about misuse of the connection.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , John Rumm writes

This is getting more complicated by the minute. Could I avoid the potential security problems by just buying a USB Wireless Adapter, which allows the DS to connect via a PC, or does that cause more problems than it solves?

eBay item 180345359145

Thanks!

Reply to
Graeme

Graeme gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Other way round. Put a wireless access point & DS first, then a (non- ADSL) firewall/router inside for the wired machines.

Some allow both, others allow neither.

The problem isn't any specific connection. It's that as long as you've got WEP turned on inside your firewall, you've got the potential for intruder access inside your firewall.

Reply to
Adrian

It solves none of the security issues, but does add a few. Kind of why I suggested this was a non optimal way forward ;-)

Is basically an ordinary WiFi USB dongle type affair. By running some access point software (or if you are brave) trying the windows internet connection sharing facility, it will create an access point for you.

Note however, any firewalling between network connections will now have to be done in software running on the PC, and the PC will have to be on at all times the wireless is in use etc. You also now have a weakly encrypted connection straight to your PC.

In your case, I think I would swap the router for a wireless version. Turn on the wireless with WEP enabled. Don't allow it to bridge the wired and wireless sides, and modulate the power down to just enough for the application in hand. That will let the DS see the internet, but not your computers. WEP will keep off the casual surfers. Anyone determined enough to crack it could potentially get free internet access, but not much else. Later if you add a netbook or other computer type device that wants full wireless access, add a standalone wireless access point. Configure that with strong security and bridging etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

You could (well a wireless access point - not a hub as such)

Yes, this is generally the case. Some wireless kit may allow you to mix encryption standards on the same WLAN, but most don't.

Reply to
John Rumm

So anyone who can break the WEP gets access to the entire network...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh, I know. But I'm not going to that much trouble and expense. We already have two Wiis and a PSP on it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

And configure the wireless access point to allow only the MAC of the DS, if that is possible with your model. That should make it more difficult for anyone else to connect.

Reply to
Rod

Rod gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Trivial to defeat.

Reply to
Adrian