OT:Harsh winter

Last night, over an hour, saw 7 separate flocks of birds (I'm not ornithologist) all flying roughly south, in a "V" formation ...

Do they know something we don't ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Only that it's autumn, I tend to hear several formations of geese honking their way over per night, in fact they started several weeks ago.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Geese fly in the morning Wind farm warning

yeah the Canada's are heading off somewhere.

Or heading in from Scandinavia.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Here in west central Scotland migration has finished! Geese a few weeks ago. Swans mid/early August. They fly quite low (over me anyway), and make a strange creaking noise. I imagine it's the flexing of their feathers. They really do have a large wingspan, and neck is fully extended in flight. Magnificent to watch.

Reply to
Olav M

It is that. Trees starting to turn. Lit the wood burner last night to augment heating, just lit it for this evening as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In an office we used to rent a few years ago, we were right under their flightpath (a largish meadow/floodplain nearby as a landmark perhaps?)

If we were working late, I'd say "There's some more geese going over, can't you hear them?" but my colleagues never seemed to, they thought I was hearing things ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

They would be geese.

They fly in the wingtip vortex of the bird in front so saving energy.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes, they know how to fly without building an aeroplane and paying for a pilot:-)

Reply to
ARW

On Wednesday 18 September 2013 18:36 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

So how do they decide which bastard gets to go in front?

Reply to
Tim Watts

They take turns.

Reply to
ARW

They take turns. As the lead bird tires, it drops back into the echelon

Reply to
John Williamson

Tim Watts scribbled...

It's the one with a yellow jersey.

Reply to
Artic

echelon you say?

kill the president

Reply to
The Other Mike

Not necessarily,

Because most large birds do this - even down to the size of seagulls.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It's the useful idiot in the flock.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's the one that knows the way.

Reply to
harryagain

Which birds exactly? It would only be "flocking" and migratory birds.

The only others I have seen is pelicans, (which also use "ground effect" and wave generated lift.) Ocassionally dynamic effects.

Reply to
harryagain

Ducks geese swans seagulls cranes storks....

Strangely solitary birds don't. Must be something to do with being on their own. So yes,they are all flocking species.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris