OT Green washing machines

All well and good

all I want is a washing machine to tell me that I have left some money in my back pocket or a 5.5mm SDS drill bit in the side pocket of my trousers before I start the washer.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I hate to think how the seals work. Could be a nightmare.

However, the water ballast is a good idea - if only from the shipping weight point of view

Reply to
John

What a waste of time. I remember when a washing machine had a hot and cold fill and would adjust water temperature. Now all the new ones insist on heating water. So his idea is nothing new. There is no window either ! I like to see what's happening if I walk past.

No doubt one of the shopping channels will be dumped with hundreds of them when they don't sell.

Measuring the correct amount of detergent is very easy. Fabric conditioner ruins clothes as it batters the fabric and makes things thin and wear quicker. If you use fabric conditioner the clothes might feel soft, but they don't last long!

Reply to
Clive

Is anyone else struck by the irony that to find out about a supposedly 'green' product* , we have to accept a high bit video feed rather than a low bit page of text? What's the environmental impact of all that unnecessary network traffic?

*I wouldn't know - I didn't watch it.
Reply to
OG

If there is one thing worse than people using "Green" to sell things - it is people using (petty) "Green" to criticise them.

Reply to
John

I'm not critisising the product - as I said, I didn't watch the video. My criticism is for the bbc website only making the information available as a video.

But of course, more searching produced this

OG

Measuring a standard amount of detergent is easy enough (by hand). Scaling that according to how much stuff is put in is a but more difficult. (Would be more sensible to weigh *before* loading from that POV.) Scaling that according to how much is *needed* is quite a lot more complicated. Automated dispensing according to actual need would be a good trick. But I suspect it isn't that sophisticated.

Pre-warming water from the environment doesn't help much if the heat in the location comes from GCH.

Reply to
Rod

It looks like the only seal is between the door and the front of the machine when it is slid in - not much different to the glass doors on normal front loading machines. I would prefer a glass door in it, I don't really know why though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It looks all well and good now, but as Dyson found out the washing machine market isn't just about clever marketing as with vacuum cleaners. You need an army of technicians to repair them when they go wrong.

I have a Dyson washer and personally think its great because the contra drum operation really does clean like handwashing and has a huge load capacity. They got it wrong by trying to be clever and doing the rainbow colour scheme which looks odd in a kitchen. Some of the engineering left a lot to be desired too.

Im surprised Dyson didn't at least try to sell the technology to another manufacturer after it was only on the market for a couple of years. There must be more money to be made vacuuming floors!

dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

More likely its because it didn't work very well. Tipping the washing into the water, as a normal automatic does, cleans very well.

Reply to
dennis

But not that hard using a strain gauge mounted on the rear of the tub.

Even that's doable, but outside the budget for domestic machines. Some day soon it'll become afordable, desired and worthwhile. There are more pressing issues from a marketing pov though, such as cold washing.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My Hotpoint has been doing cold-warm (seldom above 30C) washes for years, it also only has half the powder that the soap sellers say it needs. It works fine.

It also varies the amount of water it uses.. it appears to estimate how much by filling, then tumbling the clothes and then seeing how much is needed to top it up.

Reply to
dennis

I still think the shipping weight of the machine is a great benefit - one man delivery. No need for shipping clamps. Energy saving by not making the weights. Great idea - but need to be well made in case they split! Some ships use their water ballast as to stabilise them - moving water between tanks at less than the wave frequency (or something).

Auto dispense is only as good as the information that is available on the detergent. Certainly don't need a glass door - weren't they a gimmick when Auto machines were new. Not really needed now. Doesn't one maker do a machine with an angled drum? Seems a good idea as it would encourage a tumble in the front to back axis.

Reply to
John

... so far. It tends to lead to a ponging machine and clothes after years of use.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That can be prevented by running one top-temperature wash with some laundry bleach in every few months.

Don't know what to do about that, other than washing them as hot as they'll take once in a while. You'd still save on the rest of the washes.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

I think its a case of both those measures may be enough in some cases, but in some they wont. Some get away with cool washes, some dont... so they do increase the risk of needing a new machine and new clothes, and I just dont think that and the hassle involved is worth the trivial saving of lower temps.

NT

Reply to
meow2222