OT: Good clean coal.

Watching Trump going on about good clean coal the other day at one of his rallies reminded me of Scargill. Perhaps odd hair is a requirement for such views? Very strange pair of bedfellows, though.
--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 11:11:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

But the coal we burnt when I was a kid was good clean coal compared to rubbish I was having to use just 3 years ago before moving to a gas heated house.
--
AnthonyL

On 24/08/18 12:21, AnthonyL wrote:

Welsh anthracite? (which is no longer available)

My mother used to get anthracite delivered from the Lady Windsor colliery, in the 1960s. The coalman delivered it in 1cwt bags off a lorry, and carried them in on his back. Anthracite is around 95% carbon with very little ash. Judging by the coalman's appearance, you could hardly describe it as 'clean'!
--

Chris

And it came in bloody big lumps. A morning's work was to hit it with a lump hammer (no safety glasses or gloves supplied in the '50s) till it would fit in the bucket.
Yes we did need a wash after that.
--
AnthonyL

Yes it is, I bought some last year and there adverts for it on many coal Merchants sites.
I believe it comes from an opencast facility not a deep mine which is what may be throwing you.
GH
On Friday, 24 August 2018 18:40:38 UTC+1, Marland wrote:

There is no household coal mined in Wales. This the only coal mined in Wales, used industrially. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffos-y-fran_Land_Reclamation_Scheme
The only coal mined in the UK is this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeminer
On 25/08/2018 07:44, harry wrote:

These statements appear to contradict each other. What did you mean?
Andy
On 25/08/18 17:23, Vir Campestris wrote:

Its harry. Who knows.
But I susdpect he is drawing a distinction between open cast coal and deep mining.
There is no coal mined underground in the UK anymore.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
On Saturday, 25 August 2018 18:32:10 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes there is. n the Forest of Dean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
9ZS0_UvJQ
http://lightmoor.co.uk/forestcoal/Coalopen.html
On 26/08/2018 09:19, harry wrote:

So now knowing you've definitely read my question, WTF do you mean?
No deep mining (TNP's Guess) or England vs UK (mine) ?
Andy
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 21:27:36 +0100, Vir Campestris

AIUI freemining in the FoD is done by a few small groups of people, probably no more than half a dozen per group, working small mines and producing at most a few hundred tons of coal per year. I rather liken it to craft or micro breweries. The total tonnage of coal mined there must be trivial compared to the tonnage produced elsewhere in the UK. Freeminers have traditional rights going back many centuries, and were not included in the nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947. The rights of Freeminers to mine coal in the FoD are akin to the rights of Commoners in the New Forest to graze cattle and ponies.
--

Chris

And Donkeys ,Sheep and coming up anytime now pigs because they eat acorns that poison the Ponies etc.
One difference is that the commoning rights of the New Forest are associated with property so that anyone owning/renting such a property can use the rights that come with it, though one snag is that many such properties are now beyond the means of the children of existing commoners . So those who have grown up and learnt the ways cannot continue while those who affluent enough to purchase /rent the property don’t have the skills or are not interested in using the rights attached to graze livestock.
The mining rights in the Forest of Dean can only be granted to people. (was male only till recently) born in a certain area . Trouble is there are no maternity facilities anymore in that area and so unless it is a home birth a child won’t qualify even if his father is an existing Freeminer and when old enough the son or daughter does the required year and a day working in a mine.
The New Forest will most likely still have some commoners who can carry on because they inherit a property , In contrast unless the F.O.D gets the rules changed Freemining could die out within a generation or two.
Just happens the missus has a relation who could not afford to return here to the New Forest so purchased a semi derelict building in the Forest of Dean instead . I’ve spent some time helping with his project and the one of the main problems has been the amount of water that needed to be diverted around it and the roughness of the ground where he has started to cultivate a vegetable patch. The land and some more adjoining it and higher up was a small colliery until the 1940’s.
GH
On Sunday, 26 August 2018 21:27:36 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:

Your comprehension is poor.
All of our ex NCB deep mines have closed. But there remains privately owned tunnel mines in the Forest of Dean (by royal charter back in the middle ages.) They are small producing house coal.
There are various open cast mines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-pit_coal_mining_in_the_United_Kingdom The coal is used in power stations and making coke for iron production.
Household coal comes mostly from Colombia.
If you are so interested in this why don't you google it yourself shit-fer-brains?

You wrote something incomprehensible in the first place.
It is unfair to blame others for failing to understand your ramblings but as those and your attitude are likely caused by dementia then your writings hardly have anything to merit taking them seriously anyway.
GH
On 27/08/2018 15:35, Marland wrote:

If it was dementia it would likely be getting worse. I haven't noticed any change.
Andy

Yes and they also extract the slightly softer Welsh Steam Coal from the same source, I was watching over 500 steam powered vehicles getting through about 300 tons of it at the Great Dorset Steam Fair yesterday. They try and supply that as other coals in previous years produced too much smoke which obscured the view . The Welsh stuff being fairly smokeless is more tolerable.
You have conveniently either deliberately or through ignorance ignored the operations of Celtic Energy who on their own website make it quite clear they supply to the domestic market. http://www.coal.com
I grant you they have ceased operations at most of their sites but one is still ticking over so at present Welsh A They have declared only weeks ago that it may cease or be mothballed in the near future but for the moment The statement , Welsh Antracite is still available stands as any search of many coal merchants websites would have shown you silly little old man.

You are deliberately being obtuse again, mining may in purest terms be extracting from underground workings and opencast extraction more akin to quarrying but as the companies themselves call it opencast or surface mining I am happy to go with them rather than a senile old git on usenet.
That no other coal is produced in the UK apart from a few families with special rights will be news to the owners and employees of these companies.
https://www.banksgroup.co.uk/mining/
https://www.hsgplc.co.uk/sectors/coal-production-and-distribution/surface-coal-mining.aspx
Only someone with Shit for Brains could make the ridiculous mistakes you make.
GH
On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 11:21:56 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Just reminded me of an article from the Guardian.
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/aug/16/most-polluting- woodburner-fuels-due-to-get-the-chop>
or
https://bit.ly/2MsVmea
An article about how coal was the most polluting fuel and it would be banned in wood burners.
Eh?
A clue is in the name "wood burner". It burns wood.
There are multi-fuel stoves which can burn wood less efficiently, and also many other fuels including smokeless, coal and peat.
Our old solid fuel Rayburn would burn almost anything. Just checked and you can still get a solid fuel Rayburn. Aga as well, and there must be loads of solid fuel Agas still around.
This Guardian article was total crap, probably by someone with an agenda against hipsters in London putting in (clean burn) wood burning stoves.
Does nobody have coal fired heating any more?
Back when I was a youngster one of the options for those without mains gas was anthracite beans in a solid fuel boiler.
Grumble, grumble, shit journalism, grumble.....
Cheers
Dave R
--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1

Well yes as I said my last house was coal heated and the coal was rubbish compared to that of 60years ago.
Of course I was brought up on open fires - the young couple who bought my cottage were struggling over the winter even before the Beast from the East. I ought check if they are still alive.
--
AnthonyL

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 11:21:35 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Agreed. Actually, there's been problems with coal quality for over 20 years. Too much tosh in modern coal. That's the stuff that looks like coal until you try to burn it whereupon you get a whiteish-grey rock which won't break into ashes but stays as a solid lump - and gives out next to no heat whilst it undergoes combustion. Never used to get any tosh back in the 60s or 70s.

Funny how we never thought anything of it, though. Didn't know any better! If I had to go back to one coal fire burning in the grate with ice on the inside of the window panes in the other unheated rooms again I'd really struggle to adapt. Shouldn't have to anyway, unless there's a nuclear war.