OT: Going off-grid and using an electric car to power house.

Lets assume EDF get nasty and cut off people refusing to take a 'smart' meter.
Would it be possible to survive totally off-grid with just solar PV on a south-facing, 37 degree pitch roof on a house in West Sussex ?.
How do these Tesla wall wart batteries work ?.
Would it be possible to buy an electric car, nip 5 miles down the road, plug into the council car park charger, come home and connect back into the house inverter and run the house lights and tv off the car battery ?.
Why doesn't anyone make static gen sets that run off natural gas (much cheaper than red diesel) and use waste coolant heat, to heat the house ?.

Simple conversion from a petrol generator, I have one, the waste heat isn't used though I'm afraid.
--
Chris Green
·

You figure that will work on a mid-winter day with the sun hidden by a freezing fog?

They cause you to hold out your wallet to that nice Mr Tesla and say, repeatedly, "Help yourself".
--
"It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
On 10/08/2017 17:50, Tim Streater wrote:

Hence the backup option of using an electric car to supply power during 'difficult' periods. Natural gas for heating and cooking of course.

Only if you are prepared to spend heaps on ultra insulation and are prepared to do without anything more than led lights and a TV etc once it gets dark after a long set of heavy overcast days and have lots of spare clothes etc so you don’t need to wash them more than once a month etc.

Very expensively basically.

Yes. But its unlikely to be free for long.

They do. There isnt much of a market for it tho, because the inefficiency of that approach means that you pay more than for the electricity from the grid and they don’t last as long as the cable from the grid.
On 10/08/2017 17:51, Rod Speed wrote:

We still have coin-operated landrettes in the UK for the difficult months.

Yeah, we do too, lots of backpackers/pickers etc here.
Andrew pretended :

I thought they had all gone out of business, I have not seen one for decades.
On Thursday, 10 August 2017 19:14:35 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Their future in a modest sense seems assured now more people have expensive duvets that are too big to wash at home. However very few are still truly coin-op as many of the machines still have mechanical coin validators and y ou can't get a wash for 2/- any more.
One of my local ones hands out florins as 'tokens' to work their machines.
Most are also more service wash oriented where busy people can drop their w ashing off and collect it later washed and folded rather than bored housewi ves sitting there watching their undies go round and round and round hoping that Nick Kamen is going to come in and do a warm coloureds wash.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com formulated the question :

We usually those and sleeping bags in the bath, rather like treading grapes in the bath.
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 21:41:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

Good game, good game.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On 8/10/2017 9:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Many years ago, I used a launderette/laundromat in Amsterdam, which handed out old-style UK pennies as tokens for the spin dryers.
On 10/08/2017 21:20, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

All the duvets I have have a label that states the *maximum* size of the washing machine and they are quite happy in the normal household one I have. Something to do with them being damaged by the forces in the spin if the drum is too big and they get flung to either side.
On 10/08/17 17:27, Andrew wrote:

depends how much kerosene and diesel you have

because it makes no sense
On Thursday, 10 August 2017 17:27:16 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

They do. http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/renewable-energy/electricity/micro-chp
On 8/10/2017 5:27 PM, Andrew wrote:

Why would they?
On 10/08/2017 17:27, Andrew wrote:

Why would EDF want to break the law and end up having to pay people compensation?
--
Robin

One assumes that they would get the law changed first. Exigency of supply sounds good to me.
--

Roger Hayter

Would that be a law to prevent you moving to another supplier?
--
bert

Until you've got a 'smart' meter? Probably.
--

Roger Hayter