OT: Going off-grid and using an electric car to power house.

Lets assume EDF get nasty and cut off people refusing to take a 'smart' meter.

Would it be possible to survive totally off-grid with just solar PV on a south-facing, 37 degree pitch roof on a house in West Sussex ?.

How do these Tesla wall wart batteries work ?.

Would it be possible to buy an electric car, nip 5 miles down the road, plug into the council car park charger, come home and connect back into the house inverter and run the house lights and tv off the car battery ?.

Why doesn't anyone make static gen sets that run off natural gas (much cheaper than red diesel) and use waste coolant heat, to heat the house ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Simple conversion from a petrol generator, I have one, the waste heat isn't used though I'm afraid.

Reply to
Chris Green

You figure that will work on a mid-winter day with the sun hidden by a freezing fog?

They cause you to hold out your wallet to that nice Mr Tesla and say, repeatedly, "Help yourself".

Reply to
Tim Streater

Hence the backup option of using an electric car to supply power during 'difficult' periods. Natural gas for heating and cooking of course.

Reply to
Andrew

depends how much kerosene and diesel you have

because it makes no sense

Reply to
Tjoepstil

They do.

harry

Why would they?

Reply to
newshound

Why would EDF want to break the law and end up having to pay people compensation?

Reply to
Robin

One assumes that they would get the law changed first. Exigency of supply sounds good to me.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

EDF won't do this, hell they cannot even supple with one for economy 7 and single fuel that has the right comms yet, never mind the talking terminals they promised two years ago. Talk about c*ck ups.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They don't have the ability to cut anyone off.

Reply to
harry

I suspect hell will freeze over first. The electricity companies are already well hacked off at being forced to continue to install "smart" meters so dumb that they will all have to be replaced anyway.

My electricity meter is still a counter rotating dials type and I intend to keep it that way for as long as possible!

Survive yes, but to be comfortable only by burning your furniture in winter to keep warm.

Expensive toys.

Your problem will be space heating. Wind power at least stands a slight chance of supplying some power when you actually need it at night.

Solar power and batteries is always dire in winter. We have smart radar signs on dangerous bends here. They are brilliant in mid summer but are invariably dead in the water on cold dark frosty winter mornings. The batteries have to be replaced pretty much every year since they don't get on with our high latitude short winters days with little sun.

No demand. Most of the places where you want a generator do not have mains gas available. LPG ones are available eg.

Price isn't too bad either and a bit quieter, less smelly than petrol or diesel.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Aren't they a way of selling half-dead batteries back to home-owners, after car-owners have bought them, paid to replaced them and been charged an environmental disposal fee for them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

What are you going to do when they cut the gas because you don't want a smart gas meter?

Reply to
dennis

Most heat output is in the exhaust not the coolant. CHP is only worthwhile on a fair scale, eg for a university.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But surely something similar is true of gas-fired domestic boilers. Condensing CHP?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes - lots of hot air available at Universities :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Saw one of those last weekend. Running a mobile fish and chip van.

Reply to
Huge

Would that be a law to prevent you moving to another supplier?

Reply to
bert

Suspect it would be LPG (propane)

Reply to