OT General Election. Theresas real plan.

EU believe May wants a larger majority so she can make 'politically toxic' concessions "European Union leaders sense that Theresa May will surrender t o their divorce demands rather than walk away in a “no deal? ? scenario leading to a disorderly Brexit. EU officials and diplomats hav e received private assurances and noted that the prime minister has dropped a pledge, made in January, that “no deal is better than a bad deal for Britain”. Her decision to hold a general election has been int erpreted by the EU as a recognition that she will need to bolster her parli amentary majority and secure her government until 2022 in preparation for a politically toxic Brexit deal." - The Times
This makes sense. Especially as MPs stepping down are being replaced with E urophiles.
On 30/04/2017 09:49, harry wrote:

Or alternatively when the rest of the EU want to shaft the UK a nice hard brexit without too much parliamentary opposition.
At this point of time in the negotiation process is better to leave the other side guessing about which compromises are acceptable.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 30/04/2017 10:09, alan_m wrote:

I believe she wants a fresh mandate for several reasons. The main one is that she needs to be able to get the final Brexit deal through both houses of parliament. With the current setup, she'd struggle because the opposition parties in the Commons plus some Tory dissenters would make a majority hard to get, *and* the Lords are likely to play silly B's.
However, everyone standing as a Tory at this election will have to sign up to her Brexit strategy, reducing the scope for dissent. Also, the Lords will find it much more difficult to oppose anything which is in the Manifesto.
Whatever the EU thinks, this *will* strengthen her hand because she won't always be looking over her shoulder at colleagues (and I use the term loosely) back home.
And then there's the additional reason that she wants to tear up Cameron's manifesto and impose her own stamp on the party.
--
Cheers,
Roger

The EU already knows the UK has voted to leave. Any majority or not that May has isn't going to make a scrap of difference to any negotiations.
Try putting yourself in the position of the EU. They have all 27 countries backing their position. Why would a UK parliament majority make any difference to them?
What it may do is make it easier for May to impose any agreement she negotiates on the UK people.
--
*Eschew obfuscation *

At the very least it will allow her to get a deal that *she* is happy with rather than having to settle for one which she can sell to the opposition parties. If the 27 know that she's got trouble back home, they'll exploit that to the fullest - making a good deal harder to achieve.
--
Cheers,
Roger

The 27 exploit what? There are already trade agreements between the EU and non EU countries like Norway. May seems to think she can get a better deal than that. And suppose she did, Norway (and the others) would rightly expect that same deal in short order. And then other countries in the EU would rightly say - 'why should we pay etc for the EU when the UK now gets all the benefits for less?' And so on.
Which is why I'm saying what majority May has or has not won't make a scrap of difference to any negotiations.
--
*Avoid clich?s like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

but - as an economy - the UK needs to export. If we piss of a largish part of our customer base, it won't do us any good.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 01/05/17 09:25, charles wrote:

but - as an economy - the EU needs to export. If it pisses off a largish part of its customer base, it won't do them any good. >

"Saki"

You're confusing two different sets of people. The people we might piss off by a tough negotiating stance are EU politicians and officials. They are not the same people who buy our exports.
--
Jack

Another naive Brexiteer. People buy most things based on price - assuming the quality is the same. No one in their right mind would pay a premium for a UK widget just because it is made in the UK. And it is the EU politicians/officials who will decide on any tariffs on UK goods, not 'the people'.
--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

What happened to the fall in value of the pound you were trumpeting about?
--
bert

We'll see...

And with some stuff the quality isnt, most obviously with TV programs, docos, drama, scotch, wings, aircraft engines, financial services etc etc etc.
Virtually everyone has given up on british cars LONG ago now, even you poms.

Some do with some fashion stuff and other stuff like scotch.

Under the WTO rules, tariffs apply a particular class of imports, regardless of which country it comes from unless there is a trade agreement with that country.
So they don’t get to punish Britain for leaving using tariffs.
And Britain is unlikely to sign a trade agreement that punishes Britain with higher tariffs than other countrys pay.

Only true if you are chasing the bottom of the market where none of the EU countries can compete with the likes of the far east.
You only have to read some of the recommendations for goods on this group to see many people recommending goods with a premium price rather than value for money. There is also a misplaced belief that brand loyalty will is a mark of quality.
How many people are prepared to pay 20% to 30% more for their gas/electricity because they don't care about price?
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

True. However, with the level playing field that is the EU, they can be competitive internally. At least to some extend. The UK without that level playing field will have to compete on the world market. And as you've said, with its very high standing charges like rent and labour costs and so on is starting off at a big disadvantage.

Ask for a recommendation on here and you'll get as many variations as replies. Good value for money tools can be perfectly OK for DIY, but a premium brand generally better value for pro use.

Quite a few seem to through not being bothered to shop around.
The biggest earner for the UK is services. One reason being those services have unfettered access to the largest single market in the world. Remove that access, and who knows how they will perform.
I'm sure we'll still sell Jaguars and Rolls Royce, etc. Until their owners decide it is better to make them elsewhere.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

    If you believe the EU is competitive internally, I suggest you try bidding for a contact in France. You haven't a hope in hell of getting it!

What's the necessary qualification to be a teacher in France.
--
bert

On 04/05/17 20:31, bert wrote:

A degree in Marxist philosophy probably.
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
"bert" wrote in message Capitol

Is that a question, or a fact you wish to share?

Don't forget services too - a much larger part of our income than exporting goods.
It's what I keep on asking all those who don't want anything more to do with the EU. Just who is going to replace our single largest market?
--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

You do keep on asking the most stupid of questions. No-one has said we want nothing more to do with Europe

Our largest single market isn't suddenly going to evaporate.
--
bert