OT: Gearbox/clutch problems

Since some of you are such car buffs in here, does this problem scream out anything in particular to anyone?

Recently, when changing up to 5th gear, there has been a rough noise and feel from the gearstick. It only happens when going at least 60mph (silky smooth below that) and feels like clumsy clutching or lack of proper synching. Every other gear is fine. Double-clutching seems to get rid of the problem.

Any idea's what's going on?

al

Al,

Could be any number of reasons, but if you subscribe to - uk.rec.cars.maintenance - there are some very knowledgable people who could probably help - but give them the make, model and year of your car to help them, help you.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Sounds like worn syncro rings on 5th. Try changing the gearbox oil (if there is any left in the gearbox) and using a gearbox additive like Molyslip, it should improve considerably.

Reply to
Kaiser

Could it have been caused by a bad shift? Shortly before it started happening, I had an horrendous shift up to 3rd from red-line in 2nd, where it just missed the gear, but my foot, in autopilot, came off the clutch anyway, followed by a massive crunch of the cogs!

al

I suspect that it is most likely a worn/broken synchromesh cone.

If you can live with having to double-de-clutch then I'd leave it and see if it gets worse.

There's also a slim possibility that the clutch isn't disengaging possibly...at which point in the clutch pedal travel does it "bite"?

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Did it start doing it immediately following the crunch? If so you may have done some damage, but there is no way of knowing without stripping the box.

Reply to
Kaiser

I agree with that verdict.

Try changing the gearbox oil (if there

and using a gearbox additive like Molyslip, it

I disagree with this. A degree of friction is required for synchronising purposes; the molyslip would reduce this friction, perhaps eliminating it altogether. I believe that Austin Mini gearboxes (lubricated by the engine oil) were not supposed to use molyslip.

Sylvain ((a retired mechanic).

Reply to
Sylvain Van der Walde

Molyslip isn't a gearbox additive. Never add _anything_ to a gearbox unless you're certain it's kosher for that box - Molyslip in particular is unlikely to ever improve synchro action and will make many gearboxes far worse.

As you haven't told us what the car is, we can't help that much - but the chance is that the box is scrap and you're looking at a breaker's yard for another. Gearbox rebuilding is awkward and rarely cost-effective. For some boxes it's almost insane to even try (read the Haynes manual for the Alfasud, which is certainly one of their better and more sarcastic manuals)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bearing partially siezed, or if its rear wheel drive maybe propshaft UJ gone.

Possibly chopied a tooth from the 5th gear set as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I seriously hope not! It's a Honda Accord Type R 2.2.

If that were the case, I think I'd live with double-clutching for now!

al

Holy crap, Batman! start saving.... a couple of years ago a clutch replacement on my 2.3 prelude came to £850 from a dealer....

If the gearbox is knack'd then this link may be useful for reclaimed parts (they came up trumps for me with excellent service when I needed a new window motor/mechanism - saving me approx £200 over the honda new part):

luck!

Reply to
RichardS

If it's crunching, then it's likely a worn or broken synchromesh baulk ring on that gear. Other possibility is the clutch not freeing properly, but that would likely show more on downchanges.

However, no need to double declutch - just pause in neutral a fraction till the gearbox slows down. You only need to double declutch when changing down on a non synchromesh gearbox - although many would do it both up and down.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - well _never_ put additives into a Honda box (or their power steering). Hondas are infamously fussy about the correct lubricants.

I suspect you've killed it in a very expensive manner. Fortunately there's a good and well organised breaker's trade in Type Rs, although that's not cheap either. It's also a pretty easy box to have rebuilt, as there's a cottage industry already doing them for racing purposes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If it was an auto box, as all should be, there would not be this problem.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

It would if it were a Honda. They're _particularly_ sensitive, owing to their unusual internal design.

Have you morphed ? I thought I kf'ed you ages ago ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You are clearly not bright, so please put me on your killfile.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

So you know better than the manufacturers?

own a Honda myself and there is no difference between a Honda manual gearbox than any other manual gearbox.

Reply to
Kaiser

I thought you'd gone away back behind a rock somewhere recently. Who, of the market sector that would buy a Type R, would dream of having an auto box might I ask?

No wait ... probably you! I think you might actually be dumb enough to go for that combo ..

al

I'm hoping this is something slightly less major. Have had a quick chat with local Honda dealer about it and they think it might be synch ring. Not altogether sure what part that plays in the scheme of things (I can imagine what it does, but not what's involved in replacing it .. if indeed it is an isolated bit that can be replaced alone).

al

God I hope not! Good point about the enthusiast's. Might try and find a UK Type R members club/forum and see if they can help me out at all. And maybe organise a track day or two for afterwards ;o)

al