OT:Gas dryer

Hello,

I was going to purchase a Miele T284 dryer to replace our compact not so energy efficient dryer (F energy rated). The Mile is a C or D I think. Cost around 380 pounds

Just out of curiosity I done a Google search for Gas dryers and was pleasantly surprised that they were not as expensive as I thought, it appears that there is only one manufacturer that supplies Gas dryers for the domestic market.

This really got me thinking for we have a large family and we do at the least two loads of washing a day, usually we do around 3-5 loads a day and in winter the dryer is under heavy use which results in high electricity bills.

I have a few questions:

  1. How much can I expect to pay for installation?
  2. Does anyone have experience of Gas dryers?
  3. How reliable are they?
  4. Do gas dryers require a flue? (I don't think the ones in laundry have a flue).

I know that it will be more expensive to fit but I don't mind paying more if its going to save me money.

Reply to
dawoodseed

Dunno but it will depend a bit on how nearby your existing gas supply is.

Yep. Had my White Knight for 18 years or so and it's been very reliable. In that time I've replace two stats and one solenoid coil. All easily DIYable and supplied by post. They failed in the first 5 years, since then, no replacement parts needed. I have had to tweak/clean the flame detector/ignitor a couple of times when lighting has been a bit erratic.

See above.

No, just the usual exhaust to outside[1] but the room that it's in will need an appropriate amount of fixed ventilation for a gas appliance of whatever BTU output it is.

Given the life of our one we're very happy with our decision to buy a gas dryer.

[1] I say "usual" as condenser dryers were very thin on the ground back in the days when we bought ours.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Make sure you have one (or more) local CORGIs who have a Domestic Gas Dryer ticket as, AFAIK, it's not covered by other classes. (Ed Sirrett will be along real soon now...)

Be a shame to have a shiny new dryer and no-one local able to install it.

(Unless you are Competent and going to Do It Yourself. )

Owain

using googlegroups as plus.net and Thunderbird refusing to play nicely and I don't know which one to blame...

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Very few registered installers will have the certification for "Laundry Appliances". You may have to go to a larger firm who have a wider range of staff. To be honest there is probably very little extra knowledge required to show competence with Domestic Natural Gas Laundry Appliances, but there is the matter of familiarity and experience. However given that such certification is likely to cost hundreds of quid for something many fitters might only be asked once a year few are going to sign up for it. A larger firm might send one installer to be certified who then does the few dozen installs they get each year.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Indeed. I've only been asked to install one and I managed to do that without acquiring the specific competence. :-)

Reply to
YAPH

Get heat pump dryer:

and AEG do them.

I think AEG were the first use a heat pump in a domestic dryer, but heat pumps have been in commercial dryers for a time now. Heat pump dryers save

50 to 60% of energy in running - a big drop. If a car had such an mpg saving it would sell like hot cakes andbe on the news. As electrcity prices are rising all the time the high purchase cost is worth costing in and calculating the clawback, which may be quicker than you think.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thankfully we do have installers in our area who do dryers, checked on the CORGI website.

Reply to
dawoodseed

Your opinion seems to differ all the time from most people.

Reply to
dawoodseed

Heat pump dryers are less problematic than gas. No permanent vent in the wall in the room the dryer is when having a gas a dryer. They are not cheap to buy but running costs are very low to normal electric dryers.

Heat pumps dryers use fridge technology.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Actually, it's someone else's opinion he's quoting. Read the FAQ article. He is correct on this occasion.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Actually, it's someone else's opinion he's quoting. Read the FAQ article. He is correct on this occasion.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I presume you notified it, yeah right. 8-)

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Heh!

Reply to