OT French hate the English ....

no good reason to stop trucks.........low risk........drivers are stuck
in their cabs
they are at it ("teaching us a lesson").............long distance lorry
drivers stuck in their cabs are low risk..........thousands of feral
infected jiggaboos the french are sending over in small boats are the
high risk
Reply to
jim.gm4dhj
Only when driving. They are just as likely to mix with many dozens of people at the delivery point, when obeying the call of nature or taking a food break. 70,000 lorries a week through Eurotunnel and Dover - that a lot of drivers.
Reply to
alan_m
In the days when I used to use the ferries, I often saw quite a few unattached trailers loaded onto the ship by port owned tractor units. Presumably they were to be collected on the other side. Do they not do that any more?
Reply to
nightjar
Yes. Thats how that refridgerated trailer unit with 39 vietnamese folk inside was moved from Zeebrugge to Harwich.
They have cabs like farm tractors since they are only used as tugs for moving trailer units around the port.
Reply to
Andrew
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 12:03:24 +0000, nightjar snipped-for-privacy@bignell.me.uk> wrote:
I think Grant Shapps said 80% of freight was 'unaccompanied'. Not sure about tractor units though. I thought the containers were lifted on to the ship using large cranes.
Reply to
Scott
They are expressing theor sovereignty and controlling their borders.
Who'd have thought an EU member could do that?
Reply to
Bob Eager
Onto container ships, yes. But where the tractor units are used is to move the cabless trailers onto a ferry. At the other end another tractor takes it off and over to a waiting cab.
Reply to
Tim Streater
Well the DFDS ferries are just about 100% 'with driver' in my experience and I travel[led] pretty frequently on the Dover ferries. There might be one or two 'tractorless' trailers per crossing but that's about all.
Reply to
Chris Green
Which raises the question - couldn't they come to an agreement that hauliers on both sides of the Channel cooperate to do that with all the freight that is stacking up outside the ports now? It wouldn't solve the problem of the foreign drivers on this side who want to get home for Christmas, but it would get freight moving again.
Reply to
nightjar
I'm a bit dubious about that figure. I assume that's all sea-borne freight, including things like bathroom suites from Italy, new whisky barrels from France, etc, that's not very time-limited. Trans-oceanic container ships often call at several European ports, eg Le Havre-Felixstowe-Rotterdam-Hamburg and I assume containers are carried between those ports where there is capacity, as well as on other coastal shipping.
On the other hand, time-limited goods like fruit/veg, medicines, parcels, machine parts, etc are the ones that go by lorry on the ferries. These are the goods that are most at risk if lorries are banned.
(Trains are generally only used if there's a whole train's worth going between the same two places - a train of Evian water from France because it's so bulky, or a train of Transit vans from Southampton to Italy. Tesco have organised a train of fruit/veg from Spain to head off Brexit delays, but I don't know if that's running yet)
Theo
Reply to
Theo
Not so simple with a ro-ro ferry. An accompanied unit just drives on and off. Tugs take much longer. That's why unaccompanied trailers are mostly (was around 95%) from North Sea ports where turnaround times are more relaxed. I expect it'll be done with schedules changed but I doubt Dover and Calais have much spare tug capacity on hand.
It used not to be done at all on Le Shuttle. They were developing a new facility at Folkestone to put trailers onto freight wagons but I've no idea if that's yet working: the HGV drivers I know stopped going to Europe some years ago.
Reply to
Robin
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 10:40:39 +0000, "jim.gm4dhj"
The timing of all this is also deeply suspicious - and the location. SE England sounds like an unlikely place for a significant mutation to arise. I know they can arise anywhere, but SE England on the eve of the transition period expiring and the talks deadlocked? Hmmmm.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom
The French are just doing what's in their best national interest and pretty soon, the UK will be able to do likewise, unfettered by EU rules the French don't abide by if it suits them, anyway.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom
London matey. International world hub..
And it's all over Europe, but being the EU, they hadn't noticed. Or they decided not to mention it.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
We just happen to be the leading experts, so are the most likely to detect a mutation. Whether it actually started in Kent or came from somewhere else and was simply found there first remains to be determined.
You think it is a plot by Boris to get people ready for the chaos of a non deal Brexit? I can't see anybody else benefiting from us being isolated from 50 countries.
Reply to
nightjar
Unaccompanied makes sense for say Rosyth to Zeebrugge - saves the driver spending 18 hours on the boat doing nothing, so a bit of extra time collecting doesn't matter. It makes little sense for Dover/Calais, because the time on the boat fits the driver's rest hours so is 'free'. If the driver didn't cross, they would have to spend the time resting anyway, and of course it would take longer to pick up a trailer.
Ideally, you would put the trailers on the train near where they originated rather than Folkestone, meaning you need many fewer drivers. Unfortunately the UK railways aren't tall enough for that. (There was a proposal for a wide-gauge route for trailers to/from the North which got turned down, and eventually morphed into HS2)
Theo
Reply to
Theo
Yes and most of them coming from here are not English, but then since the new strain if it is a 'thing' at all was first seen in September, its had plenty of chance to already be in Europe, indeed its in Germany. I have met a lot of French people and I'd not say they hate anybody, particularly but then they never have much good to say about their own leaders in fact. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 19:31:18 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
So they've decended to living in filth among pigs and chickens? Well I guess we shouldn't be too surprised as it's been going that way for quite a while. :(
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Site Timeline Threads