OT: For spotters of unusual odometer readings...

In my teenage innocence/ignorance the one thing I knew about Minis was the propensity of rear subframes to rust. So I bought one with a 100% sound subframe. Pity about the engine, gearbox, brakes, steering rack, ball joints, exhaust, battery, radiator, sills... You get the idea

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I think that you have to read these with some caution as ISTM they are comparing original list price with trade-in value.

Citroen, among others, always seems to have deals of one sort or another being advertised so I suspect that no one ever pays list. My Honda Jazz is sought after and discounts are minimal but there's not much on the option list either so you pay list price, more or less. Go to Audi/BMW land and the guide may show that the car cost £24,000 and after 2 years is worth £20,000, but I suspect that the truth is that it's only worth £20K if you paid for the optional metallic paint, alloy wheels, climate control, CD changer ... so the original owner is getting £20K for a car that really cost £28K. Which may still be quite good, but not half as good as the figures would have you believe.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Some time ago I posted about how the odometer on my car matched the date. It's been three years 50,003 miles since then and despite the number of wierd groups on the 'net for obsessives of all kinds, I haven't yet found one for people with an interest in unusual odometer readings.

Anyhew, about four days ago when I filled up with petrol, I zeroed my tripmeter and noticed that the odometer would be coming up to a potential match with the date again. Unfortunately, being slightly obsessive, I couldn't leave it at that. With 122 miles to go until the odometer would read 160807, I realised there was the potential for the odo to match the date *and* the trip to match the time.

I bought a newspaper first thing, and today, at 12:21, my odometer read 160807 and the trip read 122.1. I took a photo because I am even sadder than I sound. I didn't even have to drive around or wait for ages ... I got back to my house at 12:15, popped inside to get my camera, and took the photo while sitting on the drive.

Here it is: Overall:

(116k) Closer:
(160k)

Now I know the significant majority will think I have too much time on my hands, and that I probably need to get out more (but not in my car, obviously). Fair enough. Guilty as charged.

I just thought there will be a few people out there who might enjoy sharing in my wierdness for a few moments.

Cheers, Al Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Only an Independent reader....

Will.

Reply to
Will

Well now you have.

We log every journey (have done for years, don't know why) and always record unusual ones.

:-)

I don't think I'd go that far ...

... but I don't thinnk you're odd because you did.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed. You may be a barking mad obsessive, but it's quite amusing :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Do we get bonus points for being able to identify the car from the switchgear? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Some years ago at the end of a day's run I was filling in a tachograph, and the closing reading seemed familiar.

Next morning, filling in a new chart, I realised why. It was showing my phone No.

Doh

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Al Reynolds ( snipped-for-privacy@bat400.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm glad there's a place in our society for people like you.

Just as long as it isn't _too_ near me...

Reply to
Adrian

Ah, the switchgear only narrows it down to two manufacturers. The mileage should tell you which one it's more likely to be!

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

A Nissan of some sort? Switchgear resembles my QX but the speedo is on the left and my rev counter on the right, opposite way to yours, so maybe a Toyota?

John

Reply to
John

Neither Nissan nor Toyota. Right part of the world though. Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Subaru obviously... having the indicators on the correct side of the wheel (and the mileage) would date it to probably pre 2000, but judging by the dash layout - after 1996. Non turbo since the redline and the top speed on the speedo are too low. Legacy or Imprezzer is a more difficult question! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I like watching out for odooddities too, but somehow since getting a car with an LCD readout, rather than mechanical, some of the magic seems to have gone from the number spotting, going from x99999 to y00000 is particularly disappointing.

(x-post added for the u.m. obsessives)

Reply to
bof

My Car's just done 123456, I spent ages waiting for it, and then missed the event.. :-( Ruined my day that did...

Mat

Reply to
Mat C

I think that will suit folk like Al and me :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A few years ago, in the days of mechanical odometers, I was looking forward with great excitement to the first time ever having a car when it went right round and back to zero. It was when there were only 5 digits, and it was to go from 99999 to

00000. But when the time came (and I can even remember I was near Salisbury at the time), all the little wheels started to move, then click... click... click... It stuck half way round. aaaaaargh!!!

Had to have a new speedo as it just sat there clicking the whole time but not moving, so started again from zero anyway!

As they have 6 digits now, I guess I'll never have the opportunity again. Sob, sob!

BobC

Reply to
BobC

Aww - I'm genuinely sorry about that. Really.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not Subaru either! It is 1997.

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I did have an old Honda Accord many, many moons ago (J-reg ['92 or '93 IIRC] and that had 97k on it when I bought it - ran it to 153k before it went to that great forecourt in the sky and I seem to remember the indicator stalk being on the "right" side, so maybe one of those?

John

Reply to
John