OT Flight over New Zealand

Looks a bit fake to me, what does the team think?

Reply to
harryagain

Ever been to NZ?

Reply to
David

It's genuine (and has been around for a while)

Reply to
<no_spam

Genuine.

Yes.

Never flown into Queenstown but from driving to and from the airport and what you can see from the mountains around, it certainly looks genuine.

I was just wondering why anyone would think it was a fake?

Reply to
David

It was posted by 'arry...

Well no airport buildings for a start. No other aircraft on the ground.

Reply to
harryagain

Have you tried GoogleEarthing Queenstown (Frankton) airport? It looks just like the video.

Reply to
Davey

Would you sell your soul to fly over that part of NZ in a Vulcan?

No bombs needed of course - just a better plane to take in the views.

NOT A CONFIRMED FLY but it seems that in 2015 the Vulcan is still alive and well.

Reply to
ARW

Clearly visible during the approach, to the right of the start of the runway.

The airport web cams show six different stands. Right now, they are all empty, as they were when I looked yesterday.

Reply to
Nightjar

The display list is building:

2015 is supposed to be the last year it will fly but I get the impression they may well find a way to extend into 2016.

I have been watching the list build up:-) An apperance in 2016 would also be good

Reply to
ARW

I took one of the (excellent) hangar tours at the end of last year and was told that if they fly in 2016 it would have to be for substantially the whole season as fixed costs like the winter service and insurance don't reduce in proportion to the number of flights.

Spare engines are a problem after the desiccant back c*ck up a few years back but I thought there was also a lifing issue that would ultimately ground them beyond 2015.

They installed the patches over the leading edge to resolve one issue

This is an old document from 2008 but they mention a maximum of 7 years install life on the engines and lots of other limitations on the airframe

The Other Mike

The earlier concern was based on airframe hours but the leading edge fix sorted that and pushed the longevity issues onto the engines which currently have sufficient cycles left only for the 2015 season:

Thanks, I really ought to get to see it, hear it and feel it again before it's stuck on the ground for good.

One of my favourite Vulcan clips. Ever.

The Other Mike

I experienced something very similar in , I think, 1977. We were sitting a beach in the West Highlands where a Vulcan was practicing hedgehopping. It had to bank to almost vertical to avoid the Decca Nav mast which was very close to its path.

Reply to
charles

I did this:

Money well spent.

And I'm looking to find a date to do this:

I first saw that a couple of weeks ago and have played it quite a few times since. I defy anyone to watch it and not end up with a silly grin on their face.

See what you can find and I'll be your date:-)

Reply to
ARW

Some good howlers:)

Really think his one is very authentic, could almost be a time when they used them for real which thank god they never had to!...

tony sayer