OT - Fitted kitchen quote

Kitchen 9ft X 7ft

We've been quoted 15K by a company that has done (good) work for us in the past - this includes a few appliances (hob, oven, fridge) + Granite worktops (3).

Doesn't include floor tiling or removing wall tiles and skimming walls.

Me thinks this is OTT :-( SWMBO wants to go ahead with it. We are not a happy couple ATM :-(

Thoughts please.

TIA.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Yikes! That sounds like an insane amount of money to me, particularly considering the size of your kitchen and without any skimming or tiling.

Our kitchen is 15 x 12, I went out and found a good self employed kitchen fitter (with proven references in my area) and told him just to quote me for labour to rip out the old kitchen, remove the tiles, reskim where necessary, then fit a new kitchen, re-tile, plumb a new dishwasher, repaint the ceiling and untiled portion of the walls. The labour was £1200 and it took him 6 full days. Yes it was relatively expensive at 200 quid per day but he did a first class job in all areas. Yes we had to supply all the materials which some would consider a bit of a pain, but we were able to choose every single item ourselves and shop around to get quality stuff at a reasonable price.

So just ask yourself, what materials/appliances could you buy for £13.5K? A damn sight more than you've been quoted for I imagine...

Reply to
Bovvered?

Thanks Bovvered :-)

I agree with your reply - unfortunately SWMBO probably won't :-(

I'll add a bit from the quote :-

AEG Induction hob - £780 Granite worktops (3) - £2580

Me thinks these are crazy prices.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

As Bovvered has already said, he's ripping you off to the tune of 13 grand.

A half decent kitchen, including appliances will set you back less than a grand, then you want granite tops....the last time I looked they were around £100 per linear metre...even if there were 10 metres of worktop this would only come to another grand, which is 2K. Even if my workings out are miles out and you want something spectacular and unusual and decide to double the above prices, you couldn't possibly get it past 4K, unless you inist on solid gold handles and platinum hinges.

As an example, a person I know recently supplied and fitted a kitchen in a similar sized room as yours, everything bog standard:

2 double base units, 1 sink unit and SS sink (taps waste etc inc) 1 electric SS oven, 1 SS gas hob and SS hood 2 double and one single wall cupboards

units were beech with slimline SS handles

2X 4m worktops

All the above was had for £600.

He purchased some 'end of line' 8X4 tiles for about £2 M2 for the walls and stripped off the old ones, patch plastered and re-tiled, and fitted the above kitchen in 6 days and charged the customer a grand total of £2K, 1300 of which was profit.

Reply to
Phil L

Replying through Bovvered? as all " snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net" addresses are filtered out.

Does that quote include any interest payments for a loan to finance the works? If so, what was the interest rate?

If the above apply, then the cost of the 'works' may well be reasonable - depending upon the interest rate - otherwise it seem excessive.

Woodworm

Reply to
Woodworm

AEG Induction hob = £394

worktops = from £300 each

Don

Only if it fell off the back of a lorry!

Care to quote makes and models for kit? From what I've seen, half-way decent ovens, hobs and cooker hoods are likely to cost approaching £600 *each* without any units to put them in.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hugh Jampton

Thanks Phil L

Seems I'm not mistaken in my thoughts of being ripped off. How do I expalin it to SWMBO ?? :-)

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

I'm getting on a bit and am very old fashioned. I don't have loans and don't believe in that way of life - sorry ..... :-)

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Ask her how many pairs of shoes she can buy with the savings ;-)

Don.

Reply to
Don

How much is house worth before work?

How much would house be worth after work?

If the difference is (much) less than the cost, why?

Reply to
Rod

Don coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'd priced a set at about the same amount from a local company in Maidstone. Actually seems to be a fairly typical price[1]

cheaper. Excellent - I shall add them to my list.

BTW - My first pricing for a kitchen (mid sized) came to about 5000 materials, including granite tops and oak fronted doors.

I'm looking to knock that back but still get something that will last.

But back to the OP's original quote. One one hand, if you specify fancy then the materials can easily get up 7k-9k including the appliances. Labour seems high though considering no floor or wall work - I'd expect the lot for that sort of money.

Of course, it's quite possible to have a kitchen fitted for a lot lot less. I think the first thing to do is set the standard of the materials - big variations in costs here.

Second it to find a local fitter with a good word of mouth recommendation.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Not really, unless MFI are selling knock off goods.

They are if you buy them seperately...buy them as part of a kitchen at trade prices and they are less than £100 each - the hood was £48....all makes you've never heard of but if the customer wants 'a cheap kitchen' that's exactly what he gets, and they all looked good when installed.

The mixer tap, to buy it on it's own would have been £78 - it was £12.

The prices they sell stuff for individually are unbelievable.

Reply to
Phil L

I thought MFI had just gone 'under a lorry' AIW...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Or do you need a new car?

Reply to
fictitiousemail

The impression one gets is that people are spending increasingly on new kitchens, yet are actually using the kitchen much less, as they tend to eat out much more. The kitchen is then merely used as a place to prepare/eat breakfast, or as a status symbol, to try perhaps to emulate the set used by TV 'chefs'.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

But of course, having spent all that money on it they're not going to make it all messy by preparing and cooking food in it.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Don't most buy a house to live in rather than as an investment? If the latter you'll have had a sad Xmas anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MFI isn't selling anything these days.

Reply to