[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

The basic set of four are the minimum values for 1st Class, 2nd Class, Air Mail and Europe.

Reply to
Charles Ellson

Mary, Royal Mail are launching a new product next Monday which I've been heavily involved with.

I can't say too much at the moment, but watch this space, as I think it'll suit you perfectly!

Reply to
Neil Monk

Indeed, but for some people the frequency with which their goods go missing together with their relative value, does not make the time and effort involved in going to the post office worthwhile.

Reply to
Bert

they send me updates of services, I can't wait!

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher [ snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk] said

So, use the stamps you have in stock and then buy some more.

They cost the same whether you buy them a week or two in advance or on a daily basis you know. :-)

Reply to
Bert

That's the one! A phosphor strip, thanks :-)

We always send the smallest pack we can so I doubt that we scould save anythng but I'll be pleased if people stop sending huge envelopes with one sheet of A4 in them. What a waste!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Christmas is going to be free thanks to paypal ?

Can anyone translate the above?

Reply to
Mike Redrobe

"Sparks" typed

They will, yes.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Guy King typed

I believe the Royal Mail prefers Arial as a font.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Quite right. If we send valuable goods (which also happen to be the ones too big for the pillar box) we use SD, which on the whole we've found worthwhile.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What makes you think we don't?

Not if you buy dedicated 1st and 2nd class stamps before the price increases.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why do you believe that? It would be interesting to know what they prefer.

They don't use it, in my experience. They use TNR, as I do.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher [ snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk] said

Good point. They are then cheaper in advance!

Reply to
Bert

If they are NVI, ie marked "1st" not a monetary value yes they still work as 1st class stamps.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Explain?

Twas only last week I seen a pensioner in front of me in the post office asking for a postal order to the sum of...

12GBP and 36p it was made up of a ten and two pound postal orders with the 36p in stamps affixed to the two pound postal order.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nope, they call it "Pricing in Proportion", comes in from 21st August

2006.

A "Letter" is no larger than 240 x 165 x 5 mm thick up to 100g.

A "Large Letter" is no larger than 353 x 250 x 25mm thick up to 750g.

If an item doesn't fit due to size or weight into the above it is a "Packet".

Dave Liquorice

It was not only last week - it must have been before (approx) 20 April. Since then all postal orders are printed in the PO to the exact amount you want.

Reply to
dtren
[snip]

Yes

Reply to
Graeme Wall

You can't use stamps for Parcelforce. That may well be a recent development but you now just pay and get a receipt. A bar code goes on the parcel by which it is tracked and accounted for and shows it has been paid for - no postage label, no stamps. Parcelforce Worldwide are about to introduce a similar system.

Reply to
dtren

From the 'Postal Address Book' (My copy is a bit out-of-date, but I don't suppose they have changed this bit: 'Ideal fonts for our equipment are Courier, Courier New or Brougham. Other fonts which have similar characteristics are Helvetica, Avant Garde or Franklin Gothic as are Arial, Avalon and Frankfurt Gothic.'

Peter