OT Energy saving question

Hi all

I don't really understand why the M1 is lit all of the way from London to Northampton but then only at some junctions from then on. Is it because commuters can't drive in the dark?

Why not switch all of the lights off apart from at major junctions to save energy?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Decisions on motorway lighting used to be (and probably still are) based on an assessment of the economic benefits of a reduction in accident numbers. This took into account traffic flows (actual and predicted) and historical data on accident rates, which I believe are lower on lit roads, all other factors being equal. There was also an assessment of the incidence of fog at different locations.

Reply to
Autolycus

If the government thought there was any benifit in doing this, they would have done it, there isn't so they haven't, unless you believe all the bullshit about global warming, this is a natural trend and the govt have seized on it as a way of making money, when in reality, there's f*ck all we can or can't do as a species to change it one iota. So saving energy doesn't really enter the equation I'm afraid....I doubt that the 24/7 power stations which can't really be 'switched off' would stay open at all if this were adopted nationally

Reply to
Phil L

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:52:30 GMT someone who may be "Phil L" wrote this:-

Ah, proof by assertion.

I think I'll take the view of those who understand the subject deeply, thank you.

Reply to
David Hansen

Don't mention it.

But who / what caused the last global warming which melted all the ice after the ice age? - or the other thirty or forty ice ages previous to that? - many scientists are now saying that it's part of a warming trend - something the earth goes through regularly, followed by a cooling trend (ice age), and Britain has been a desert, a jungle, a warm tropical lagoon and been under a mile of ice on numerous occasions over the eons, there's no reason to believe that just because we can now measure this occuring that we have caused it, nor can we cause it to stop, just go with the flow, at least it's going to get warmer before it gets nippy, very nippy, for a few thousand years

Reply to
Phil L

Hahah!! can I quote you on that.

What you meant WAS

"If teh government thought there was any benefit in dioiung tjis, in terms of winning teh next election, trhey would have done it"

Spending other peoples money to pander to the road safety lobby for no gain is standard Nu Laber rule #13.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you do your research, you will fund that global CO2 is likely to exceed what the world has seen since the carboniferous era..thats a good few millions of years back,when insects were the dominant life form..oh and giant ferns.

You may look forward to being reincarnated as a giant gnat, but I don;t have that faith..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lit roads are much safer at motorway speeds, as they greatly extend the range at which people can see, particularly if there is an unlit obstruction, such as an accident. Driving with a uniform lighting level is also less tiring than looking down the beam of headlights. However, below a certain level of traffic, the improvement is not enough to justify the cost of lighting the whole motorway.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

nightjar Lit roads are much safer at motorway speeds, as they greatly extend the

That's all very well, but the transition in and out of lit areas is often much worse than the dark stretches. The light level they aim for is also quite high - 1/2 the power pread as evenly would seem to do pretty well towards the same ends.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Phil L" saying something like:

Got anything else you know f*ck all about you'd like to pontificate on?

Stop talking out of your arse.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In case you hadn't noticed, or were blinded by the human superiority complex that most of us suffer from, insects are still the most dominant life form, and more to the point, 60% of all animals on earth have 6 legs - humankind is a tiny blip on the biology of earth, as are all mammals for that matter.

Who cares? - we're born, we live, then we die..the middle bit is *life* - I certainly ain't spending the rest of my life worrying about something that none of us can change.

Reply to
Phil L

Ohh look a sweary mary

Reply to
Phil L

I've stopped following this thread but :-))

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Me too.

Reply to
Phil L

One reason that fully lit motorways would be better.

The lighting levels have been worked out, over many years, as the minimum needed to do the job. No lighting authority wants to pay for more light than they need.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Indeed, But they don't pay. The taxpayer pays..and pays..and pays..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher