OT: Electric car batteries

Why has nobody ever thought of a removable electric car battery? You know how with a camping gas cylinder, you take it to be refilled, but they don't refill it while you wait, you simply get a full one in exchange? Why not do the same with the car batteries? A "petrol station" could have a big rack of batteries charging at whatever rate, and you simply pay, take a full one, and slot in your empty one.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Oops, should have googled first. Someone is doing it properly:

James Wilkinson

Did you even think to search whether anyone has proposed this? Several manufacturers have considered (and rejected) the idea ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Breaking news. Troll utters bollocks to elicit a response.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I didn't search first because I'd never hear of it. Never mentioned on Top gear etc etc, so I assumed it wasn't available.

And see my other post, it hasn't been rejected by Tesla, the company doing electric cars properly.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

"Elicit a response" - er... you mean like a question? Like almost every single post made to this group?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

And don't they weight 80kg or more? But perhaps all the little old ladies driving electric cars that Mr Wilkinson knows are big beefy birds.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It probably has ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was considering that the garage would have a mechanism in place. And it appears Tesla do.

And I think you missed a zero off the weight.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I suspect that flow batteries would make more sense. Pump the used electrolyte out and replace it with fresh. Saves all the packaging issues with swappable battery packs.

Reply to
Huge

I heard of that a while ago, but not since. Are they still considering them?

And what do you mean "packaging issues", can you rewrite that in English? You sound like someone from Human Resources using vague meaningless terms.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

and the battery station should be completely wind and solar supplied - one situation in which a truly green solution is/could be viable*.

Is such an arrangement likely to produce enough juice to be useful? If not then what is the point of wind & solar power?

Reply to
AnthonyL

They have:

But they've dropped the idea now as a dead duck.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's been rejected.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sorry, but I don't do moron.

*plonk*
Reply to
Huge

Why do you think we can't have a national grid and be green?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

That doesn't make sense, they only said they were THINKING of dropping it because of poor take up. But would you rather wait 30 minutes to charge?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

Because he's a troll, and you're feeding his need for attention.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You're the moron who thinks "issues" describes it completely.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Obvious, innit. If you swap the battery you have to arrange for it to be swappable. Which means it has to be packaged robustly so any dimbo can hoick it around the charging station without it getting damaged. And the car then needs a big hole and slidey thing to get the battery into and out of easily.

Much easier just to have a drain tap and filler tap to remove old and add new electrolyte.

Where were you when the brains were being handed out?

Reply to
Tim Streater