OT: Double standards?

The view of the US administration seems to be 'it's not guns which kill, but the individual'

Meaning presumably the need to defend yourself outweighs any risk.

But doesn't apply this to nuclear weapons?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on the mental well-being of the owner, I guess :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

An FB meme yesterday pointed out that unpasteurised brie is illegal in the US (my brother says they are obsessed with pasteurisation) , but the M134 machine gun is legal.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Then it's wrong. Machine guns have effectively been banned since 1986.

Reply to
Huge

I thought that ban was relaxed a few years ago.

Reply to
Davey

Nope.

Reply to
Huge

There is some truth in this. However there are too many nutters around and so many in the US get killed or injured with guns, often accidently.

And I don't trust anyone with control of Nuclear weapons.

Reply to
Mark

Mythbusters have used them (although they were cagey about where ...)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

CBA, but how does that square with the (in) famous second amendment ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Jethro_uk

I said "effectively". You can get hold of them, but many hoops have to be jumped through.

Reply to
Huge

Do I look like a member of the Supreme Court?

Reply to
Huge

" ... the Gun Control Act of 1968 ? which Congress amended in 1986 to make it illegal to possess or transfer newly manufactured machine guns." Pre-1986 ones are still ok, then.

Reply to
Davey

For very small values of "OK". IIRC you at the very least need a Federal Firearms Dealer license to own one.

The meme is wrong, no matter how you nickel and dime it.

Reply to
Huge

Thus speaks the voice of experience ?

In fact its more likely you were in the wrong State

The difference with machine guns along with other types is that further restrictions are placed on gun dealers who can stock them and on buyers who can buy them.

Title II weapons, or NFA firearms are designations of certain weapons under the

United States of America's National Firearms Act (NFA).

These are weapons requiring a Type 01 Federal Firearms License (FFL) as well as a Class 3

Special Occupation Tax (SOT) to sell, and an ATF Form 4 (transfer of registration) with

$200 tax stamp to purchase.[1] The restrictions apply to certainfirearms, explosive munitions,

and other devices which are federally regulated by the NFA.[2][3] Any violation of the NFA is a

felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.[4]Per the National Rifle Association's

Summary of Gun Control Act of 1968:[5]

Title II of the Gun Control Act of 1968 is a revision of the National Firearms Act of

1934, and

pertains to machine guns, short or "sawed-off" shotguns and rifles, and so-called "destructive

devices" (including grenades,mortars, rocket launchers, large projectiles, and other heavy

ordnance).

That's the Federal Law. However in addition its possible for individual States to impose

far more restrictive State Laws possibly banning the sale of title II weapons altogether.

No such restrictions apply in Nevada

NFA restricted "no"

michael adams

michael adams

What makes you say that?

Or indeed, that? Perhaps you are unable to work out what ".uk" means?

While you're looking up what ".uk" means you can look up "effectively" at the same time.

Reply to
Huge

50% of gun deaths in U.S.A. are apparently suicides
Reply to
fred

Accidental? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting statistic I read elsewhere - no idea if it is accurate.

More 'civilians' have been killed by guns in the US than the total of US soldiers killed in war.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The theory of nuclear deterrence and Mutual Assured Destruction has the same lack of logic as gun laws in america, you are right.

Really we should be applauding N Korea for getting tooled up with h-bombs because according to the theory it will prevent any more war from happening and we can all rest easy.

Tim w

Reply to
TimW