OT: "Do I need a TV licence"

The question was "Does watching non broadcast (live or recorded) signals warrant a TV licence?" If the law says you don't why would one pay £120 for something you didn't need?

No argument, just a question and various interpretations?

We pay

So following your logic we might have our vehicle off road (on a SORN) yet still offer to pay the road fund licence ?

Any you aren't a criminal if you don't break the law .. just sometimes it's difficult to know *what* the law actually is ...? A hundred years ago when I was done for "Exceeding the speed limit in a goods vehicle" (63mph on a 70mpg dual carrigeway in my MM van ..). Do you think I would have continued 'exceeding the speed limit (for my vehicle') whilst watching the Police Rover V8 in my mirror following me for 1.6 miles if I knew I was commiting an offence ..? AFAIWC, I was 7 mph (indicated so probably more) UNDER the speed limit? I took my papers to the local police stn who said traffic had got it wrong "A MM Van isn't a *goods* vehicle!" type of thing, but they were wrong.;-(

To find out exactly what constituted a goods vehicle at that time I had to get a Police training Sergent friend of mine to trawl the library at Hendon .. "2 x rear windows of at 100sq inches each (got) and side windows of at least 2 sq feet (not got).

I was 17 and that was my first (technical) offence... ? Dry day, empty road, all papers up to date, vehicle in good condition being driven safely ..(the speed was not excessive as if I had the windows I could have been doing 70 mph .. same vehicle ..)

So, you can only stay the right side of the law if you know what the law is in the first place? (hence the question)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

A bit drastic if not required though Ed?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

As many of the next generation of mobile phones all receive TV we'll all need one anyway. You can't detune a mobile :-(

Reply to
Mike

Roll on the day when microwaves, baked bean tins and clothes pegs receive broadcast reception and the whole thing gets so difficult that this stupid licence business goes.

Reply to
EricP

o The Website lacks the word "Install"

---- which legally goes far beyond mere "Use" o The Licence states it *categorically*

---- "you need a licence to Install or Use ... any TV Receiving Equipment"

Install may seem an odd term at first glance regarding a portable TV. Install is in terms of *capability* - irrespective of whether Used.

Any Equipment or Component which provides the capability of TV Receiving requires a TV Licence irrespective of whether such capability is Used or merely Installed.

Ok, Plain English Campaign would do it better.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

Unfortunately they could extend it to the Internet.

Alternatively the micro-charging capability does exist: o Video on demand already, already proven o Wireless bandwidth, already proven system on a global scale o Road charging re time, road-rating, road-usage, vehicle, occupants, speed

Remember Moores law works in the direction of HMG, and will be pushed in that direction by IT Consultancies strenuously. o Micro-charging = selling a telephone when no-one has one o Get uptake on one, even as a loss leader = you are in the door

The market is most difficult to change at anything but axis points, at an axis point the market direction is unknown & so requires the least pressure to give it direction. Once market direction in response to pressure has taken hold the pressure may removed & momentum takes over. Care is needed since during axis points Event-Risks can work against you - or you can create them to work for you.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

So what? Just because most people use TVs to receive broadcast programmes doesn't mean that everyone does. Have you noticed the difference in price and availability of TVs and video monitors?

Reply to
Rob Morley

No - it's in terms of intention. It's not the equipment that needs a license, but receiving broadcast programmes using that equipment.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That is true, although TVs tend to be far cheaper than monitors, also finding PAL compatible monitors these days for using with TV type equipment is not as easy as it used to be. All the computer stuff has moved on in scan rates etc. Using bog-standard TV's also allows the possibility of installing a home distribution system. Piping composite video or RGB around the house is far more difficult.

Reply to
John Rumm

(I am sure we did this thread to death last December....)

Yup, and you are using it wrongly ;-)

I believe it means "to install with the purpose of receiving or recording", or "to use for the purpose or receiving or recording".

This is a moot point anyway, since if you phone the TV licensing people and ask, they will tell you that you don't need a licence in this circumstance.

Failing that read the FAQ on their web site:

"What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?" "You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence. "

John Rumm

It is about your intention.

Like what it says here:-

"What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?"

"You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence. "

Reply to
John Rumm

I can turn the TV on, with *nothing* connected to the aerial socket and get a watchable picture.

Being able to see Sandy Heath transmitter from the front door probably has something to with it though.

Reply to
JB

Sri about that .. I did ask ..

I did look at the Licencing info and thought that was all they were going to offer. That FAQ sorta covers it doesn't it?

Cheers John ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

No money wasted on hi-gain aerials for you then Ed ;-)

Hmmm even thought of going for some borrowed electricity .. ?

Reply to
T i m

I am quite happy to pay for a licence if I have a TV (I do ATM)... What really p's me off is the jumped up traffic wardens who come around if you don't have a licence and imply that they have the right to come in to your home and check whether or not you have a TV.

And what REALLY p's me off is when the TV licens> "What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games

"Enforcement Officers" visits you are perfectly entitled to tell them to f off.

rant over!

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

There's a philosophical point which boils down to whether you think people should obey unreasonable laws.

Some people see the TV License as unreasonable.

Reply to
Huge

Me too

Have they recently put new lights on that mast? I don't recall being able to see it so well at night before.

Reply to
Huge
[18 lines snipped]

Reply to
Huge

The chap who came to us was very pleasant, not at all pushy, I had to insist that he came into our house.

I don't do that to anyone, it's unproductive.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Doh ... I don't understand a word of that!

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher