OT DIY Cleaning a BTE hearing aid

Just thought I'd post this as I've not found any similar information by Googling "Groups". (Lots of "it's not ethical to meddle" stuff, of course...)

I've had an NHS behind-the-ear hearing aid for the last few years. It's an analog type (using a 13ZA cell with an on-T-off switch and rotary gain control marked from 1 to 4) and this morning it was dead, despite it having had a new cell fitted a few days ago. It was still dead after I tried a new cell in it, so do I take it in to my local hospital today for repair and be without it over the holiday weekend, or do I see if there's anything obviously wrong with it? Yesterday I had noticed that it wasn't as good as it used to be, or was that my hearing continuing to get worse...

The tube to the earpiece was clear, but when I examined the microphone area through a magnifier I was horrified at all the crud which had accumulated, and after removing a fair amount mechanically, I finished off blasting the hole with IPA from an aerosol using the fine tube applicator. The visual difference was impressive, but the hearing aid was still dead. So I dried the HA on top of my hot water tank for 15 minutes, and it's now as good as new. I can even turn the gain control down a notch. My guess is that the crud had built up and stopped the microphone diaphragm from vibrating.

I've no experience with any other HA type, and I'm not taking any responsibility if your ruin yours; but in my case I've saved two hospital car park fees, some petrol and I've got my hearing back 3-4 days earlier than otherwise.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

If its an NHS aid then they will swop it there and then when you take it in. These analogue aids a well known having problems and just going dead.

Incidently you can now apply for a digital aid now because the RNID has stipulated to the NHS and the gov that its time to coume up to date with the HA as most communications nowadays are digital ie mobile phones ect.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

My previous experience with my local hospital was that two journeys were needed with a day or more for the repair to be done. When I enquired about a digital aid (well after other people had got them) they said that their department was at the end of the queue. Things are quite different in South Manchester where my aunt has been given a digital HA a few years ago, and several follow-up consultations to try and ensure she was getting the best out of it. Unfortunately, she's not up to remembering how it works, and taking advantage of the better features, which have now been disabled. In addition, she's managed to fit the cell the wrong way round so she's now got a two part HA. (She managed the previous analog type without difficulty - but she is now close to 90, and her age is beginning to tell.)

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

My dad's been waiting for over 12 months for his first ever hearing aid from the NHS - he's rarely been ill, never been in hospital, and worked from the day he left National Service unt he was 69. The first time he ever wanted something back he's made to feel guilty and told 'everyone wants a digital aid these days and we can't cope'. Oh well, thats me climbing down from my soapbox now.

Reply to
me

If he goes to a local institute for the deaf, they will help him considerably by pushing this further up the ladder,so to speak. The hospitals sometimes tell porkies.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Take it to the hospital they will change it straight away if it is faulty, and give you another hearing test.

A while ago when I had a problem they changed it for a digital aid.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

It's the bank holiday weekends that do it. Especially if your audiology department take the opportunity to stay closed on the Tuesday for no apparent reason.

Kim.

Reply to
kimble

unfortunately until 2004 ( and now if still not assimiliated to agenda for change ) the NHS had 10 bank holidays these extra 2 were achieved by having certain tuesdays nominated as bank holidays

under agendna for change these 2 extra bank holidays were turned into leave days, as had been the practice in those areas operating on a shift system anyway.

Reply to
Martyn H

How peculiar. Did they tell the banks?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

In message , Malcolm Stewart writes

The ultrasonic units from Aldi, that we all rushed out to buy earlier this year, are excellent for doing the ear pieces - but do detach the electronics first!!!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome