OT Courier to pick up heavy item?

Hi, I have a 60kg item located in Kent which requires to be fetched back to my home in Shropshire. Its on castors.

I dont think a regular courier (eg parcelforce) would cope with that?

Does it need to be palletised or what does the team think??

TIA Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Hire a van for the day and get some straps and someone to help.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Google "Palletline". You get a number of hits for companies that handle larger items.

John

Reply to
John

Google "Palletline". You get a number of hits for companies that handle larger items.

John

We've been very pleased with DHL.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For any transportation, dimensions as well as weight matter.

Will this fit into a space of 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0m?

If so, you could use a pallet transport firm. there are loads of those, with the better known being Palletline.

Another good approach is to find a local warehouse/logistics firm. They will have pallets and other materials such as clear wrapping material.

Parcelforce isn't a courier, it's a shambles.

You might find that DHL would be willing to handle this. The weight/size spec. appears to be within their offerings.

That would be the best way, unless it's small enough to be put into a crate that you could make.

I would take off the castors as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

==================================

60kg isn't particularly heavy for most carriers. City Link (e.g.):

weights up to 99 kilos before applying a surcharge.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

However, IME, City Link won't be able to find the delivery address.

I have used APC for many years

Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Or bother ringing the bell to check if anyone is in. Happened to me twice out of a very few deliveries from them. And phoning to get a re-delivery is as big a nightmare as possible - it relies on you being able to read the code number written by the driver. Which I couldn't. So went to pick it up. They couldn't either. ;-)

Also weird to use. Local branch won't take cash or credit cards from a 'cash' customer. Cheque only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately that is common practice here in France with the state postal service "La Poste". If I ever get anything that needs signing for or is too big to fit in the mail box at the end of our drive, the postman just leaves a card with a tick against "you were out". Idle sods. Too much trouble to walk a few yards up the drive and ring the doorbell. So I have a five mile drive into town to pick the items up. I tried reporting this laziness but just get the Gallic shrug and "It's normal". Nobody could care less as it's state run.

Reply to
David in Normandy

================================== The point I was making is that the weight of the OP's package isn't excessive, so it's a case of asking any reliable and conveniently located carrier if they will accept the job. I'm sure that City Link must have some satisfied customers, although I'm not recommending them - just offering them as an example which others may emulate or better. Personally, I've had rather mixed experiences with them but no real disasters.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

A friend of mine had THREE laptops go missing in transit by Shitty Link (on three separate occasions).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

================================== Don't blame me - I only mentioned their name as an example of a well-known courier providing a particular basic service.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In message , Andy Hall writes

Yep, DHL will take it, sit down while you ask the price though.

At that weight I would recommend putting it on a pallet, that takes it out of the normal (mis)handling system and ensures more careful treatment. (It's difficult to throw a box with a forklift)

Yes again, remember that you will be charged by the volume according to the formula: (all in millimetres)

(length x breadth x height) divided by 6,000 gives the 'volumetric weight'. (In Kg) If this is less than the physical weight then you won't be charged any extra for putting it in a protective crate.

If you don't, DHL probably will, traumatically.

Reply to
Keith

Tim,

After reading the replies to your post, I must simply ask the question - why not find a courier near to you (or more than one) out of the Yellow Pages directory and ask them?

They can then tell you what they will do, how they will do it, when they will do it and the cost - along with anything that you have to do or supply.

DSBP

Reply to
DSBP

I rang the national City link number and they told me they only handly objects up to 30kg.

Bu11sh1t ??

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Doesn't really matter. This is not a good firm to deal with anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

================================== Maybe so - look under 'Packaging' / 'Parcel size & weight'. That appears to permit weights up to 99 kilos.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In message , Tim.. writes

It's more a question of what the couriers think, isn't it

why not ask the people who know ?

My feeling is that it will need to be on a pallet

... not cheap

Reply to
geoff

In message , Bob Mannix writes

What 250 miles+ each way and van hire (+ personal time)

not an efficient solution

Reply to
geoff

Well, I use them

In fact, I use them quite a lot , I find them quite good on the whole, except when they get it wrong, they get it well wrong

Reply to
geoff