OT Cheap clocks

Hi all. I want to buy a cheap clock as in the 2.99 jobs from the discount crap shops. So do any of you know if its a straightforward job to remove the hands and the clock 'engine' from the dial and then remount successfully on an alternative dial?

Its for my 5 year old daughter who is currently 'with' chicken pox.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Plenty of kits with just movement and a choice of hands available. Try Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The few clocks I've dismantled in the last couple of years had hands that were easy to slide off. Alternatively, you can buy the components for about the same price from Maplin:

DeadCat

Dunno, but several places sell hands and clock 'engines'. I think I got one from Maplin the last time I needed one.

Reply to
Huge

Yes absolutely this is a pic of one of my collection of clocks

one is powered by a quartz movement from a Pound shop jobie, the original movement is still waiting repair. Not as accurate a time keeper as some of my 150 year old clocks but one less to wind every week.

-
Reply to
Mark

I've done it a few times, including changing to radio controlled types. The only possible problem is the hands from the old mechanism will probably not fit the new mechanism so make sure the new hands are suitable for the face. Likewise, check the diameter and thread length of the central fixing. If you have a problem here, two-sided tape is an alternative.

Reply to
JohnW

You could always fit a 'radio controlled' module which are cheap as chips these days. Which will out perform any mechanical clock.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

i could do but I fully intend to fix the original movement

not where I live, the RC clocks keep getting a corrupted signal in poor weather and I often have a display showing something like 48:97

or the analog one just going round and around trying to lock.

-

-

Reply to
Mark

They are quite easy and most are the same/similar. You can actually buy the cheap clock movements from arts and craft type suppliers to build into your own clocks, but probably £2.99 is cheap enough. They used to sometimes use old CD's as a face the clocks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've used old shellac records as clock faces.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Maybe stuff it on te internet and get it to pick up NTP?

I get a real thrill out of looking at the computer clock as the pips go. Within a tenth of a second ALWAYS.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I must do that on this useless laptop, still its only lost about 20 minutes in the last few weeks. :(

-
Reply to
Mark

I used to use old wax cylinders as clock faces but reception from MSF was bloody awful in them days.

AA batteries hadn't been invented. We had to use EN6's

The kids complain about reception nowadays, but they don't know they're born.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Usually trivial. Second hands can sometimes be awkward. You may sometimes also need to improvise a slotted screwdriver for the nut that holds the mechanism to the dial.

Most of mine (I make a lot of clock cases - few dozen a year) are bought from Lidl. Used to be Ikea, but their's no longer seem to last too well. Lidl also have radio-controlled mechanisms for about 7 quid, but they're often so complicated to set that it's easier to use a manually-set clock!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A well designed one will run on its internal oscillator if it loses the transmission and only alter that when and if it gets a good signal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not off DAB, though. ;-) Or FreeView.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a stock of those (well, a different make). They were always known as 'flag' cells, not lantern batteries, and the originals had a wire tail for the -ve pole. I use them, inter alia, to drive a Hipp toggle clock, which they'll happily do for over a year.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I can't understand why mobile phones (at least mine) can't pick up the current time from the mobile phone signal and have to be set by hand. Is there really no time data in GSM?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just a guess on my part - flag as in used for larger homes, hotels etc.. which had a bell and flag type system in the servants area. You press a button in a distant room to call a servant and a bell rang plus a flag fell to indicate which button had been pressed. All mounted in a polished wood box with numbered windows in the face for the flags. These were the batteries used to feed these systems.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That depends upon the linking used to supply the pips. R2 can often have digital transmission delays, making the pips a couple of seconds late. The TV can be much slower. R4 seems the only one which is on time.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield