OT charity shop chugging?

took a boot load of decent kids toys to charity shop today & whilst parked on double yellows unloading felt pretty harangued by the charity shop "minder" to sign up to gift aid...?
I left the last of the bags & headed for the door, to echoes of "what about this gift aid form? " then hands thrown above her head as I made my excuse & left her to it.
WTF? Did she expect me to donate money as well as a boot load of decent gear? In which case they can FRO.
Or is this some devious attempt to gain my personal & contact details for purposes other than "charitable giving"?
What other explanations have I missed?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 22:18:49 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim <k> wrote:

https://www.cafonline.org/my-personal-giving/plan-your-giving/individual-giving-account/how-does-it-work/gift-aid
Cheers, T i m
On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 22:18:49 +0100, jim wrote:

They can claim tax relief on the value of the items you have donated and which they have sold, if you are a taxpayer. From memory it increases the value of the gift by around 20%.
I've done it for many years now at a hospice shop where I take many donations. Each year I get a statement of what the value of the items sold was and how much extra they get though the gift aid process.
It costs me nothing and benfits them greatly.
On 04/08/2017 22:35, Mark Allread wrote:

And if you're a higher rate tax payer it benefits you too - 'cos you get tax relief on your charitable donations.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 04/08/2017 23:08, Roger Mills wrote:

only on the marginal rate rate though - so the charity gets the equivalent of the basic rate tax back, and the higher rate tax payer gets the higher rate portion.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 05/08/2017 03:32, John Rumm wrote:

Yes, indeed. It effectively means that a bit more of your income is taxed at the standard rate rather than the higher rate. The charity still gets what they would have got anyway. I didn't mean to imply otherwise in my previous post.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 05/08/2017 14:12, Roger Mills wrote:

Boring point for those who spot scope for some DIY tax planning in the above.
You may think that gift aid allows you to avoid paying tax at 40% on the top slice of your income when you would without the gift aid. That may be attractive given (as gov.uk puts it)
"From 6 April 2016, if you’re a basic rate taxpayer you’ll be able to earn up to £1,000 in savings income tax-free. Higher rate taxpayers will be able to earn up to £500. This is called the Personal Savings Allowance."
So if you are are only just into the higher are band you can give a bit to charity and get £500 more tax-free savings; and everyone's a winner - well apart from the Exchequer?
No. HMRC ain't that stupid. You only get the £1,000 allowance if your taxable income is not in the higher rate band and that's based on your income and the rate bands *before* adjustment for gift aid.
As so often, gov.uk has dumbed it down to the point it's positively misleading: "higher rate taxpayer" does not mean "someone who pays tax at the higher rate.
--
Robin
On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 22:18:49 +0100, jim wrote:

You pay nothing. It just means they can claim the tax on the current value of the items donated.

Just that.
Oh, and if you're a higher rate taxpayer and put the figures on your tax form, you get a bit of tax back.
On 04/08/2017 22:27, T i m wrote:

Gift aid has become a mechanism to rip off the public.
Many attractions operating as charitable trusts now what MORE entrance money (as well as you signing the tax rebate form). Rip off entrance fees become more rip-off. At one time gift aid was the same entrance fee for all and they just requested that you fill in a form so that they could claim another 25%. I didn't mind doing this as it cost me nothing. The policy now seems to be a lower entrance fee if you tell them to fuck off and a higher entrance fee with the inconvenience of filling in a form for gift aid.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 23:58:58 +0100, alan_m wrote:

individual-giving-account/how-does-it-work/gift-aid

The reason for that is that they can't claim Gift Aid on a simple entrance fee. So they charge you for a year's access, and then they can.
I rarely want to go back twice in the same year, but there are exceptions.
On 05/08/2017 00:39, Bob Eager wrote:

That is not the scam they operate. In some cases both the normal and more expensive gift aid entrance gives free repeat visits. Organisations such as the national trust just charge more for gift aid admission without giving any return discounts. In many places I've visited on holiday recently they did "friends of" type tickets for repeated visits but at a cost much higher than the most expensive one off entrance fee.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Some charities even take your money and give nothing in return. I have heard of money being taken to Africa to be spent on educating other people's children. What a scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IAhfVsBAE
(2 mins in)
On 06/08/2017 21:33, Scott wrote:

The true scam is that they take the money Spend 30% on the CEO and executive salaries, pensions and perks Spend 30% on sending out begging letters Spend 40% abroad where 90% of it gets lost in the local corruption business.
I note from TV advertising that if I provide £3 for a bucket with a lid the polluted water fetched from the stream shown at the beginning of the Ad magically becomes safe enough to drink!
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Sunday, 6 August 2017 22:04:47 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

lid

And I'd like to know why it costs £3 for a bucket with a lid. Buckets are £1 in B&Q. Does a lid really cost £2?
Owain
On 06/08/2017 22:47, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

It has a tap as well :)
It's only 50p for the bucket, lid and tap. The other £2.50 is to pay for the TV advert.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

It's a few years since I last looked at this in detail but at the time you could not claim gift aid back on a membership subscription if there was any personal financial benefit to the donor. It may have changed by now of course.
--
bert

On 04/08/2017 23:58, alan_m wrote:

Apparently, the entrance fee on its own is not gift aidable because you're buying a service. But, if you make a donation on this, the organisation can claim a tax refund on the *whole* amount. That's why the entrance fee is higher if you gift-aid it. [That's what I've been told by one such organisation].
--
Cheers,
Roger

He usually does.
--
bert

Except I didn't did I, as many others have done the exact same in an effort to help 'jim' understand it better. The explanations / justification were outlined in the link I am others have provided (not that 'jim' (or you) would accept such from me of course).
So it seems it's only you who has got it wrong *again*, 'bert'!
Cheers, T i m
p.s. How's that Brexit thing working out for you so far? Is it still on?

So unbelievably childish. Still, I suppose he only has half a brain.
--
bert