OT: Cashback on house purchase?

Often seen with developers/new developments - but can anyone see any "gotcha's" with offering this as an incentive in a private sale?

e.g. Buy our house for £xxx,000.00 get cash on completion of £y,000.00 where the house is valued AT OR ABOVE x, and y is a small-ish %.....?

Phil.

Reply to
Phil

=BF=BDy,000.00=20

Down side is that you end up paying in mortgage amounts =A3y,000 x interest= rates over 25 years (though you could just repay that element of the mortg= age instantly, subject to overpayment fees etc).

The offer is appealing to purchasers as they then have =A3y,000 available t= o buy carpets etc financed at mortgage interest rate levels, rather than sh= ort term unsecured loan levels.=20

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Sometimes attractive for first time buyers on the right sort of property (so long as the hike in price does not push it over a stamp duty threshold).

Reply to
John Rumm

It's very bad judgement to buy things on, say, a 25 year loan where they don't have that sort of life.

What's wrong with bare floorboards or secondhand rugs etc until you can afford to buy new?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Often seen with developers/new developments - but can anyone see any

Stamp duty.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Indeed. If you are going to do it, then get an offset mortgage in the first place, then you can at least pay off the "extra" borrowing much sooner while still benefiting from mortgage rate lending.

Reply to
John Rumm

How very 1960s, I thought these days everything had to be brand new (says he who used what ever he could scrounge for years).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

How very 1960s, I thought these days everything had to be brand new (says he who used what ever he could scrounge for years).

But you would be right.

The average 20 something girly would come out in a huge rash at the thought of having to have "make do" furnishings in her new house

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Yup. Many these days don't seem to realise credit has to be repaid - eventually.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I expect they take their lead from the Government.

Reply to
Huge