OT: Carpet underlay

Hi guys

After some advice on carpet underlay. What is the general consensus for the best carpet underlay in terms of comfort / sound insulation / heat insulation.

We are looking to re-carpet 4 bedrooms, landing and staircase and I would like to also replace the underlay to help improve comfort / sound insulation / heat insulation.

Appreciate all your comments.

Thank you.

Reply to
Slider

I did a bit of research on this before buying and my conclusion was

  1. Compressed foam chip is much cheaper and just as good as the wavy tredaire stuff for comfort. Both come in a variety of thicknesses for different places. Sound and heat insulation were not relevant for me cos I have a "floorboards with a rug in the centre" situation
  2. Buy off the internet NOT from a carpet shop. istr its about one third of the price

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:   (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

Agreed, very pleased with the 10mm Cloud 9 I've used in a couple of bedrooms. It's not been down here long enough (only a couple of years) to see what happens over time. But the rubber crumb stuff falls apart into black dust that is a right mess to clear up when you lift it. The poly foam isn't supposed to do that and it's between two (thin) sheets as well which might contain it a bit if it does fall apart.

Yep, it's the underlay and gripper rods where carpet shops make their profit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Easy: buy the most expensive. I balked at doing this for decades, finally overcame my Yorkshire Instinct last time we had carpet laid: it really does make a difference.

Sorry - can't remember how much it was now, but the carpet shop showed us three grades, all looked similar (wavy rubber stuff with a paper backing), but you could feel the difference.

As Anna has said above: buy off the Net for the best deal!

john

Reply to
jal

Same here.

Reply to
Huge

Earlier this year I bought 56 square metres of Cloud 9 Contract from

for about £178, delivered. They also have an ebay presence.

This is a PU crumb underlay, not the waffle rubber stuff most carpet shops try to sell you. Don't fall into the trap of thicker = better: if it's too thick, the carpet stretches too much under point loads, and the carpet looks odd where it dips down to go on the grippers. There are cheaper grades of Cloud 9.

I first used this underlay last year, on the advice of the makers of a decent grade of Axminster: apparently rubberised felt is even better, but risky if you've ever had carpet moths. The fitters who fitted the stuff I bought recently praised it highly, and said that many carpet shops won't sell it because they can't make the same profit on it that they do on waffle underlay.

The service from floor-site.com was excellent: polite and professional on the phone, and they delivered when they said they would.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

In article , Slider writes

Good site here with loads of data and advice, including tog ratings and noise attenuation:

got Tredaire Dreamwalk which is in their PU Carpet Underlay section, almost missed it until I clicked the 'our most popular underlay link', they have almost too much choice.

I looked at the waffle type stuff but wasn't too impressed.

Check out the Christmas offers link to find 150m of gripper at 15quid + vat, it's cheap stuff but it does the job and I now have a lifetime supply.

Reply to
fred

We live in a Edwardian House and with the old floorboards it is well worth putting down paper as well, as it stops the dust being sucked up.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Jackson

Reply to