OT - Car Specifications

What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this seems to go across brands.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual transmission

Reply to
Graham.

Not really these days. Most larger cars tend to be autos. So probably a cost thing rather than cultural.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some form of semi-auto (clutchless) is what I go for. Trouble is they tend to bundle the extras all together, so f'rinstance we have the too-clever heating system where you set the temperature you want.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Often there's a North America version and an ECE (Europe-ish) version. There might be a Japanese version too (maybe all RHD are to Japanese spec). They address features that are incompatible between the two regimes - eg the headlight arrangement.

Those are presumably options to the base spec: the vehicle is the same, with parts commonality within a region (NA/ECE/Japan). It is just than the national subsidiary of the manufacturer or importer decides to promote some factory options over others. They take a view on what will sell and what won't. No point fitting satnav if there aren't maps for your country, or importing black cars to the Middle East. Many of those market decisions will be similar across manufacturers.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

These days hardly even that. Modern UK autos are so good its hardly worth having a manual.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

DerbyBorn a écrit :

Well, cruise would not be much use in a country where they don't have (m)any motorways.

My car has every toy you could think of or wish for, including built in TV and sat/nav, apart from it being a manual. I am equally happy with either auto or manual, both have their good and bad points so far as I am concerned.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

All of these things are available everywhere as options - even on low end cars. I guess that each manufacturer takes a view on which of them need to be fitted as standard in each market in order to compete with other cars in that market. For example, you won't find many cars with manual transmissions being imported into the US.

I haven't bought a new car for a while, but most manufacturers now seem to have on-line configurators which allow you to create a car to your exact spec. You invariable end up with something costing substantially more than the base price by the time you have added better paint, better wheels, a *spare* wheel (if available), better in-car entertainment, etc.

Reply to
Roger Mills

To some extent the local environment.

The USA has long straight roads. No need for good cornering and cruise control is useful.

In the 50s, 60s the French had straight but very bumpy roads so they made cars with good suspension which could handle the bumps. In the UK the road surface was better but there are lots of corners, so we made cars like the Mini which could corner very well.

Spanish lorries had a green light on the back to tell you when you could overtake.

As roads have improved the need for these aspects has reduced.

Fuel has always been cheap in the USA and expensive in Europe, so European cars have had better fuel consumption.

Air conditioning is much more important in the USA, than in the UK where your really just need a heater most of the time.

Reply to
Michael Chare

On 04-Jun-16 5:39 PM, Roger Mills wrote: ...

When I went around the Mercedes Stuttgart factory, which was making just two models, the guide said that there were around 90,000 different versions that could be built, depending upon what combination of options the buyer had asked for.

Reply to
Nightjar

My understanding is that it's very difficult to rent a stick-shift in the US. I'll see what my driving instructor friend's experience is when he returns next week.

Reply to
Graham.

I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

What a load of drivel.

Reply to
Richard

Andy Burns a écrit :

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at >21 so I use 22 in the 20mph zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway cruising.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Nightjar a écrit :

But as already said, order all the options and it can make a large difference to the cost. Mine cost a touch more than half as much again as the base cost, in the add on options.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Michael Chare a écrit :

A/C is also of great value in the winter, to draw the moisture out of the air to avoid windows misting.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

well so far that's two of us who use them for off motorway speed limits to one who claims others use them only on motorways

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm one who only really uses them on motorways (or other long, uneventful roads). The rest of the time I use the speed limiter, as it's much less work.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I wish I had tried them years ago., wouldn't go back.

My Mondeo Mk 4 still has a true torque converter. How do the latest twin clutch versions compare?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I used my last car for 18 years, and very, very rarely used the cruise control. This car, owned for a year, I haven't bothered finding out how the cruise control works.

Reply to
News