OT: Car buying gripes

I thought I'd do the right thing and help my granddaughter buy a car. Looking at anything up to 3yrs old low mileage. Finance is sorted (to about ?10k).
Firstly there seems a complete apathy of mainline dealers to want to entertain any decent discount. Even from the dealer who sold me my car. Or am I just not doing it right? I'd hope for instance to get the ?995 knocked off a ?9,995 price.
Next we came across this Ecoboost. Not paid much attention to it in the past and granddaughter asked whether it was worth it. Since when has a turbocharger been eco!! (Talking some petrol engines here). ok, they up the efficiency - and the power output. Maybe the boy racers don't realise they'd be getting a turbo if they bought one. Smacks of "diesel is good for the environment" claims of times past.
Anyway the Mini Cooper (1.4L) is edging its way to the top of the list. I would have like a real Mini Cooper instead of my 848cc?? back in the early '60's. Try explaining that to youngsters of today.
So any comments on a Mini?
--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
On 08/01/2020 13:27, AnthonyL wrote:

Not driven one but BMW make pretty decent cars that go well and handle well ...so it carries a bit of a premium but most people who find it is of a sutable size seem to like em. Rather like Golf fanatics.
--
“Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

I don't see a BMW being a suitable car for the assumed age of a "granddaughter"
tim
On 08/01/2020 18:02, tim... wrote:

BMW make the mini sheesh!

--
“Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,”

– Ludwig von Mises

Boris will put a stop to that
On Wed, 08 Jan 2020 13:27:19 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Market forces, I'd have thought ?

Because the base size of the engine is smaller so burns less fuel the 90% of the time the turbo isn't used.

I can't say I recall that. But litre for litre diesel is more efficient and therefore a tad cheaper to run

Can't beat German engineering, I'd have thought ...
On 08/01/2020 13:35, Jethro_uk wrote:

well in fact turbos tend to be on pretty much all the time BUT the efficiency is down to having a smaller lower friction engine and a better fuel air ratio above the cruise point as well as at cruise.
Tuyrbos allow you to run lean at higher powers.

You can, but its ok.
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

You can actually. My 73 Golf had a number of warranty claims, including a head gasket and important stuff like that.
My Hyundai had none at all and has only now had just the one fault, the windscreen washer bottle which now leaks when you fill it, after 14 years.
The i30 is a much better small car than the mini cooper.

until every town charges you a "pollution" charge
tim

I’ve got a Cooper S. Fun to drive, great cornering. Rear seat access terrible. Visibility of switches awful. Synchromesh on first gear failing (under 40,000 miles).
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Look at CAP and Glass prices, plus whatever they start from on Autotrader. You're asking for a 10% discount, which might be their entire profit margin.
For instance, if I go here: https://flippingbuddy.co.uk/cars?make=MINI&years_from 16&years_to=&model=&price_from=&price_to=&fuel_type=&serviceA%20Service&body_type=&gearbox=&keyword=&registration_number=&page=1 as a very rough auction price guide (ignore the ones that are 595 that's some mistake in how they scrape prices) the estimates are mostly 8-12K. So if they bought the car for 8-9K +fees you're trying to remove all their profit.
Particularly at the newer end of the spectrum, I'd question where these cars are coming from - who is selling a car after a year or two?
Have you thought about ex-lease cars around the 3-4 year mark? Lots of stock comes up for auctions - if you're brave buy direct from auction, if you're less brave buy from a dealer who turns them over quick. I'm not sure what a 'mainline' dealer buys you beyond some nicer coffee when you test drive.
And might be better to look for high mileage ~3yr cars - lease examples that have done motorway miles and been looked after, rather than shopping carts that have been flogged.

Very low and uncomfortable driving position IMO. But that's intrinisc of Minis.
Theo
[Snip]

Used to be ex-rental cars from the Channel Islands
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 08/01/2020 15:24, charles wrote:

These days dealers forecourts are awash with ex-motability cars.

why would someone be flogging a shopping car?
tim

As mentioned, Motability, hire cars, but also trade-ins, reposessions, divorce... none of which are good indicators of it being looked after.
Theo

Its far from clear that modern cars need to be looked after when driving them.

oh I agree, hire cars are not likely to be a good choice
but someone else suggested that was a "normal" reason for 2 YO car being for sale
and that attracted not a single adverse comment
Can't see why a car acquired because of a divorce is likely to be shagged?
And surely all 2Hand cars on a main dealers forecourt are "trade ins"
tim
On 09/01/2020 10:01, tim... wrote:

Many 2 year old cars are high mileage ex fleet and I wouldnt touch one.
Not since a fleet manager told me that he bought brand new fords, ran em 2 years and 100,000 miles without a service...and traded em back.
Bests car are old luxury with low mileage privately owned. I'd rather have a ten year old 70k mile car than a 3 year old 100k car and it will be cheaper
Shopping trolleys are shagged by 100k miles but better vehicles will do a lot more
look exactly the same afterwards."

if you are the natural buyer of such a car that's all the mileage you need
tim
On Thursday, 9 January 2020 10:27:43 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I'm not that choosy when I'm in the supermarket, but then again I haven't used a shopping trolley for 20+ years, I just carry a basket.