[OT] Can mail be contaminated with Covid-19?

If an infected postie delivers letters then how long would they stay infected for?
"Royal Mail won't say if postman with coronavirus went on round before finding out he had disease".
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/postman-went- work-day-before-17897799

As long as he didn't knock anyone up.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
"Incubus" wrote in message news:r5d0mv$lmo$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...
On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 13:07:46 UTC, Incubus wrote:

Iron your mail if you're worried.

You don’t know that that will eliminate the risk. Makes more sense to spray it with a high alcohol spray or leave it for a week and don’t just put it all in the one pile for the week.
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 12:56:57 GMT

I've seen it alleged that the virus can live up to 24 hours on cardboard, and much longer on hard/smooth surfaces.
--
Joe

How long when heated to 100c I wonder?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
"Tim+" wrote in message

A UV bath should suffice.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
"Incubus" wrote in message news:r5d8g4$qnu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Well yes, but I don’t have a UV source. I do have a fan oven.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 13:45:03 UTC, Ophelia wrote:

No, iron it.

It isnt at all clear how long you need to iron it to do anything useful.
Makes more sense to keep it for a week before opening it. There is good scientific evidence that it doesn’t stay viable for a week, tho there is also some evidence that one cruise ship still had some still viable after 17 days, but its not at all clear where on the ship that happened. And that one is from the USA CDC, about as reliable a source as you can get.

If it kills coronavirus on the surface of mail and newspapers, why not?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 24 Mar 2020, Tim+ wrote (in

Idiot.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
"Tim+" wrote in message

20 minutes makes the paper very slightly yellowed and crispier. It’s only boiling water temperature so I don’t think it’s likely to burn (but I haven’t tested this yet).
Of course it’s not long enough to penetrate to the inside of the paper but if it kills stuff on the surface then that’s probably dealing with 99% of potential threats.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
"Tim+" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 13:19:56 UTC, Tim+ wrote:

I think it only lasts about half an hour at 70C. Even 56C is enough to reduce its life.
On 24/03/2020 13:19, Tim+ wrote:

Dry heat of 100C won't do much to it at all. Steam your letters open and you'll probably be OK :)
Andy