OT: Buying a van

Just £1000 vets bills.. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Must have been the Great Tooth Fairy Scare that weakened your immune system.

Reply to
Ian White

And all the fertilizer you can use.

Reply to
Brian

I have always fancied having horse transport because I am under the illusion that I can not be done for being 'drunk in charge' of a horse because it is a sentient being

However I gave up on the idea beacuse A) It would eat the client's roses B) I cant face telling the taxman that my horse is a justifiable business expense

Ah well, back to the van idea ...

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

And the horse knows the way home from the pub...

Owain

Reply to
Owain
[...]

Under the Licensing Act 1872, being drunk in charge of a horse, cow or steam engine incurs a £200 fine and possibly jail for up to 51 weeks.

It's still on the statute books, and there have been recent prosecutions.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

But seeing you don't need a licence the courts cannot very well ban you. :-)

Reply to
Roger

I'd prefer to be banned than be jailed a year.

But I suppose you could try arguing that the horse was in charge of you :-)

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Could you not pay him with the "proceeds"?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I remember a case about 35 years ago. I thought the horse left to its own devices would have got home safely, but he was too drunk (or not quite drunk enough) to stay quietly on the cart for the journey.

Reply to
<me9

Hmm, bit difficult to sign-write a horse.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nah! tis simple man, Just use that spray can.

Reply to
clot

The same act that I was taken to court for and cleared by my fantastic solicitor some years back. I was charged with being drunk in charge of a bicycle. However as I was sat on the handlebars and my brother was pedalling and steering only he got convicted (the magistrate threw my case out as he agreed it is is not illegal to be drunk on a bicycle handlebars. ie I was not in charge of the bicycle). I paid my brothers £75 for him.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth