OT: Bus drivers and running engines

Electric motors can be made to last near forever. Thing that kills car starter motors (apart from the drive mechanism) is overheating. I assume the engine starts quickly? And of course a hot start is far less taxing than a cold one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

clumsy bastard coughed up some electrons that declared:

No, it's none of their business.

This is the same democracy that ignored wide spread protests against the current war in Iraq, which together with the Afghan war cost the UK an estimated 7 billion sterling this Feb, and will probably cost 18 billion all told by 2010

can think of a fair few things I reckon the electorate would rather have spent 7 billion or more on to date, so let's cut the crap about "government knows best".

If they really want to solve the problem, they might start by forcing employers to encourage working at home wherever practical which would save considerably more in terms of all that wasted fuel travelling to a place of work (and the congestion etc) when many people (myself included) can work quite ably on the end of a phone line.

Not to mention the side benefits of not wasting x hours per day travelling plus the flexibility.

Until they put their hare brained schemes away and start looking for measures which a) actually work; and b) improve quality of life, perhaps in one area as a compensation for worsening it in another, they'll not get any respect nor cooperation from me.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Huge coughed up some electrons that declared:

LPG for buses and at least some taxis in Brisbane and the air was really noticeably very pleasant.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

As I've noted elsewhere, Winchestr City Council used to have an air-sampling station which continuously reported the city centre air quality via a web page. Several enterprising individuals have started to capture the data and provide historical trends and analyses of air quality with annotations to show the implementation of council policies.

When the city centre was gated and motorised traffic banned around the cathedral it was clear that air quality improved. Then the council implemented park and ride, replacing journeys in clean cars with journeys in filthy, polluting buses. NOx and particulates were seen to rise rapidly. Then the feed to the web was stopped, and has not been reinstated. Obviously some truths are regarded as unacceptable.

Reply to
Steve Firth

by waste I mean over consumption. Climate change, fuel shortages, pollution etc will all be greater and greater issues. It is rather ridiculous that people use power to heat houses so you can wear flimsy clothes in midwinter or cool them so you can wear a business suit in mid summer when we could save a vast amount more by not doing that rather than mess with lightbulbs.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

If pollution and fuel shortages are going to be threats to our well being its the business of the govt to address such waste.

and cost Blair his popularity.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

They fit heavy duty starter motors and batteries.

Reply to
Huge

Democracy? Three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

And be ignored.

Reply to
Huge

I wasn't arguing with that premise but with the view that the way to achieve this was to legislate over the temperature people have their houses, which is (a) wrong and (b) unworkable.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

You forgot the savings in the need to not to build the actual building, the servicing, fuel consumed in heating it and the extra roads etc. needed to let you get to work.

Home working, where the employee's job only needed the use of a phone and computer was suggested to be the way forward, but I don't see very much of it nor much encouragement to do it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

With the doors open?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The motor is designed to cope.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

And the battery?

Reply to
Tim S

The way things are going there won't be many jobs that can be done like this left. We'll all be digging...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To start a hot engine takes surprisingly little energy - the alternator will soon replace it. Remember these vehicles use a form of regenerative braking too - so the energy for the re-start should be free. Ish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I believe the starters are of a slightly different design too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

As well. This auto start stop is a way of getting the filthy cars to emit less in urban areas. Cities have to reach emission levels. So action is needed in congestion charging, encouraging electric and hybrid vehicles or pedestrianisation. Ken Livingstone never met London's emission levels, even with congestion charging and encouraging low/zero emission vehicles. That meant the charge was too low, and or the congestion zone was extensive enough. Ken set in motion the introduction of the hybrid bus fleets.

Idiot Boris the Turk, scrapped the congestion zone extension.

This auto start-stop is a stop-gap. They should go full hybrid and do it properly. It is because these companies have not done enough R&D and are behind in technology, still hanging onto engines that have change little in concept in 130 years.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maybe if you arrived on time for once....?

Reply to
Steve Walker

motor/battery/solenoid etc is faulty and by stopping the vehicle you would require them to :

a) recover you to your destination

or

b) push start your vehicle

But I'd probably just act deaf, tell them I'd left my hearing aid at home, leave the door locked, with the window only partially wound down and keep speaking very loud that I'm deaf and I can't hear them.

Reply to
Mike

Yes, good point. I expressed myself badly - what I meant to say is that when the bus arrives it sits there with the engine running, doors open etc.

In the centre of town where the bus stops are, there are prominent notices telling drivers to switch off their engines. Do they? Do they eckerslike.

Thanks to all for an entertaining thread.

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips