OT: Brakes seizing on electric cars? (2024 Update)

Lockup crotch?

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

That would explain it using up spare D type bits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The jaguar D type had no indicators at all. Front headlights tail lights and stop lights

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that really necessary? I've driven plenty old cars and the brakes are always good enough to be able to lock the wheels.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

FFS, I tried to drive off today and the throttle jammed fully open. Much WD40 and it's behaving a little better.

Luckily it has a rev limiter, although quite why it jumps about and doesn't stay at precisely the red line nobody knows.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No hazard lights in case of a crash?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Way before that concept appeared on the scene.

Reply to
Xeno

That's what happens when automation tries to help without having enough information. It was trying to be helpful but made things worse. Imagine trying to drive with one person operating the wheel, one the pedals, one the handbrake and indicators.

The answer to all that paragraph is.... French electrics.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Doesn't bother me as I never use any type of handbrake. Park in gear and turn the wheels against the kerb. Hill start using the footbrake.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

He didn't say that. He said he didn't use the brakes. He might press the brake pedal, but on an electric car that should engage regen before the actual brakes. Real brakes are only used if you press hard on the pedal.

You can apparently adjust what it does when you let go of the gas. But unless the designer is monumentally stupid, no matter what your setting is, braking means regen THEN brake pads. No point in using pads when you could be charging the battery.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because diesel engines were (for a long time) perceived as slow, noisy and dirty, mainly due to early truck engines. Also perceived as only being suitable for larger engines which is why when they did come to cars it started in the big Mercs.

Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Smallest Diesel I have seen is 0.3 cc:-)

And of course the real technology that helped make diesels work effectively was turbocharging ...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed, especially when combined with inter-cooling.

Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

But all that went away quite a while ago.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Indeed, My Golf TDI was just as good as a GTI.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yep and as that got noticed more and more cars got diesel engines, and then manufacturers got caught fixing the emissions tests and it all got smelly again.

Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Not many more. Didn't people notice the hugely higher miles per gallon? I actually heard people saying "but diesel costs more". Yeah, a few pence more, but you go twice as far.

One manufacturer did, and nobody gives a f*ck about treehugging emissions. I look at the miles per gallon only.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Wait until your diesel engine blows up. Then you'll notice where the higher costs are.

The people getting cancer from the carcinogenic diesel emissions certainly do. Those carcinogenic emissions are why diesel is biting the dust in Europe - regardless of the improved mileage per gallon.

Reply to
Xeno

Ok, I accept the first one, but seriously, they can't get all the power from going downhill? How inefficient.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Of course they can't get all the power from going downhill .

Even a 100% efficient system does not recover all used energy, as elevation change is not the only use of energy. There is also resistance to movement caused by air pressure effects, etc.

Reply to
soup