OT Body armour - stab proof vest

Eat some pies, wear a non-covert one under a big shirt. You pay a _lot_ for the extra-thin covert ones.

Also they're no bloody use. If you're in a situation where such a thing is likely to be worn (doorstaff maybe), then your general demeanour intimidates many, drunken students are a nuisance and little more, so your largest actual threat is from the serious nutter. They aren't going to stab you in the vest, they'll aim somewhere more effective, just in case you are wearing one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My Felix suit has separate pieces for anti-vampire protection, and a bollock guard (which is really there to protect your femoral artery anyway).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Many are tailor made, to some extent. There are a number of plates, so as to give some articulation, and you can order each plate to be of a range of standard sizes (i.e. are you apple-shaped or pear-shaped). Covers are then sewn up to fit the particular set of plates that you've ordered.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Got this info from a member of the local Community Mental Health Trust:

If you haven't already, you should definitely and immediately contact the Police about the latest incident.

They should contact the relevant organization and also tell you of anyone else you can contact.

If you already have a contact name at Social Services/Community Mental Health Trust, you should also contact them. If not, get this info from the Police or Google for it.

Threats like this are taken seriously, there are procedures to deal with them and you shouldn't have to rely on buying yourself a stab- proof jacket. It's good to leave a paper trail and also the more information/incidents that are reported, the more likely there's a critical mass of evidence to warrant intervention.

HTH.

Reply to
mike

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

TBA I didn?t read it properly either, I looked at this one

then noticed the ex-army one cheaper.

That?s looks the same as my one above, but half the price.

-
Reply to
Mark

The point is, apart from a blade into the brain through the eyes, the death dealing blows are to the torso. Specifically tthe heart: even a ripped artery is not fatal if tthe flow is staunched in time.

I am wndering if a titanium mail shirt (marketed as 'Mithril') has any commercial value :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This in a way is what surprises me about this kind or armour - which essentially covers the abdomen. If one really wanted to off somebody quickly, the femoral artery area would be the place to aim for. I believe that death can be in a very few minutes from a fully severed artery. I was surprised at how quickly the circulation works. I'd always thought that it was minutes, but found out during a recent CT scan that it's seconds.

I suppose that most teenage thugs will tend to stab in the chest and abdomen rather than thinking about what to do.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cheers. I have received it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an artery and it would be instant. I have not seen a vest designed to stop it either. I will not disclose it here.

Reply to
dennis

Your tiny url shows a picture of a woman with no bra wearing a see through dress.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

ARWadworth wrote in

Just the kind of thing I imagine you'd have a stab at ;)

Reply to
PeterMcC

....made of chain mail.

Reply to
Vortex3

I remember the more bloodthirsty elements of my class at school were asked where they wanted to go for a geography field trip. The consensus was an abattoir. So it was duly arranged. The one image that struck me particularly was how quickly the blood came out of a pig once its throat was cut. It would have been no quicker if you simply inverted a bucket of it! It took just a couple of seconds to basically drain porky of 90% of his content when you lop through the jugular and carotid.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is she wearing a chastity belt?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Indeed. They can wear the vest whenever they want to, but some calls are flagged 'vest mandatory' and some are flagged 'do not leave ambulance unless police are on scene'. Vest is mandatory in certain post code areas.

Conflict management and Aikido are part of the basic training. They have radio code words to secretly convey that they are in a possibly dangerous situation.

All for a basic salary of £14K.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

.... and all up?

Reply to
Andy Hall

And from what I hear no shortage of applicants;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

If you have no joy from the police, get your local BBC news on the case if he's wandering round with a knife. If you believe he's tooled- up, dial 999 and say you believe you saw a gun. Then if he's such a nut he won't drop the knife and the cops will trade shots

Problem sorted!

Reply to
Part timer

And not even allowed to take the works van home at weekends.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like: