[OT] Bit of good news for a change - North Korea

https://news.sky.com/story/history-in-the-making-world-awaits-trump-kim-summit-11402048
"Kim Jong Un commits to "complete denuclearisation" in document signed with Donald Trump"
My analysis:
It takes someone like Trump to deal with someone like Kim.
Only time will tell, but Trump seems to have actually made some material progress where previous efforts have failed. I expect there will be many setbacks and further pushes, just as there were right up until this moment.
As of today: Trump's got a meeting, a long handshake, re-introduced North Korea to the world stage and if that's played right, it might just be the first steps to a better world.
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 5:49:52 PM UTC+10, Tim Watts wrote:

It shows that a man with a bad rhetoric, a crude short hand in Twitter could also achieve moments of greatness! OBAMA the oft quoted One Brill American Moving America has been reduced to nothing, ... Zilsh!
Listen, its rubbish, with Mr Trump in the equation you will probably find he flies out and then tweets that the bloke is a child molester or some such and gets Hawaii nuked. Brian
--
----- -
On 12/06/18 09:05, Brian Gaff wrote:

As of this moment, progress with N Korea is further forward than it's ever been. What happens next: well, we'll have to wait and see.
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:17:59 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

The next will be Kim Jong-un brokering a peace deal between the USA and Canada...
On 12/06/18 09:28, Bob Eager wrote:

Something that puzzles me a bit about the whole Korea business is this notion of a peace deal between NK and the US.
The Korean War was in fact a UN war, not a US war. After NK invaded the south in 1950, SK went to the UN where it was discussed in the Security Council and due to a foolish error by the Russians in boycotting that meeting (a mistake they've never made since), a resolution was passed making NK the aggressor and asking member states to send troops, which a dozen or so countries did. We had 30k there, although the US had more than everyone else.
So surely any deal to end the war (still a state of war, technically) should be managed by the UN, not the US.
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich people
by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are poor.
On 12/06/2018 09:28, Bob Eager wrote:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/can-your-nukes-reach-canada-trump-asks-kim-20180611174114
--
Adam

Nope, he's signed one of those before, and then ignored that.

We've already seen what happened last time.

North Korea hasn’t got anything with that range.

On 12/06/2018 10:28, Rod Speed wrote:

They can hit mainland USA but they probably don't have a nuke small enough to fit on it, yet.

Which means that they don’t have any nukes with that range.

Which means that what Brian said can't happen like he said.
On 12/06/2018 10:28, Rod Speed wrote:

I think that we have heard that before, and they have, on more than one occasion, caught everyone by surprise.
"Libya has no nuclear programme". Remember that?
On 12/06/18 15:08, JoeJoe wrote:

I dont recall that it did, no.
private property.
wrote

Not with nukes small enough to go in their long range missiles they havent.

You really think that a diplomatic document at the start of a negotiation says "I/We commit to ..."
You don't think perhaps it says
"Seek to move towards ..."
tim
On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 08:49:52 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

I wonder whether they'll denuclearisate earlier than they finish building the Ryugyong Hotel?
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

Or before Hinckley is finished.
--
bert

On 12/06/2018 08:49, Tim Watts wrote:

Other reports state that he has committed to 'work towards' complete denuclearisation, which is not quite the same thing as saying it will happen.

Colin Bignell
On 12/06/18 09:33, Nightjar wrote:

I don't think anyone can say "it will happen". But I do think it's a significant break in the stalemate. North Korea hasn't had a history of being trustworthy, and nicey-nicey approaches haven't worked. Plus it's going to take China working on it as well.
The main thing now is to keep the momentum going...