OT Beer

Nice bit of lateral thinking, Colin. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"David Lang" wrote in news:hshAe.141202$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Don't start me!

I bloody LOATHE the 440 size. 500 makes 2 nice civilised glasses in whatever size they make that size of glass in. But they do, and sell them in Woolies. (No , it's not the medication, *I* know what I'm going on about innit!)

But 440 is a useless rubbishy green meany size.

I was told the reason supermarkets like 440s is that 500 is a popular size for smuggling, so the marts can _look_ honest.... Har, har.

Well the folks what smuggle obviously know what's best, why waste your time stuffing the trannie with a manky size of can?

Oh, dear, I TOLD you not to get me going.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Blimey, now you're asking.

I'll see if I can rise to that challenge.

Reply to
RedOnRed

1lb cans, less a little for filling error. 16 fl oz rather than 20. It's then in line with items sold by weight.
Reply to
<me9

The draught I've had in Europe has always been nominally 250ml, 500ml or even 1000ml. It is also invariably overfilled well above the line.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

US fluid ounces are NOT exactly the same as Imperial fluid ounces.

1 US fluid oz = 1.04084 Imperial fluid ounces

1 Imp fluid oz = 0.96076 US fluid ounce

Close, but not quite the same.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

No, Imperial and American fluid ounces are not the same.

However, that gives you a conversion factor from our gallons to theirs of

5/4, whereas in reality it is as near as makes no difference to 6/5. A US fluid ounce is a greater volume, so their pints and gallons are not as small as you think.
Reply to
John Laird

;-)

T i m

I acutually sent 1 can of a 6 pack of Special Brew back because a couple of the others tasted 'off'.

The letter went " .. I have been drinking Special Brew for many years .. " .. you can imagine the imagary in the minds of the customer services staff .. sending a voucher back to "The Arches, Railway Cuttings .. " ;-)

Reply to
T i m

How about the old party sevens?

Reply to
johnty

Is that the height of the glass?

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

They definitely did with Wagon Wheels.

Reply to
johnty

Probably the worst beer in the world...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The sizes I've seen marked on French beer glasses are 25cl, 33cl and 0.5l.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Sadly enough, someone seems to have one

Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

'Water' glasses tend to be half a pint.

OK, further off topic, but I sense this is the right group...

Anyone know where you can get the 1000ml (yes!) cans of Cains Formidable Ale south of Manchester? My nearest ASDA used to stock one or two cans most of the time, but hasn't for a couple of years.

Reply to
Joe

Oh, absolutely. But dead cheap and a sure entrance into any party when you're about 17. Ee, them were t'days...

Reply to
johnty

My head hurts ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've never seen anyone pour canned beer into a glass of any size, they drink the contents straight from the can.

Mary ... No, I'm wrong, I remember pouring Guinness from cans with the gizmo to make it 'draught' yeah yeah. Is that still done? But I still see people drinking canned beer - from cans- in the street. And dropping the empty.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Some of us could only afford party fours.

Times have changed. Outside my local newsagents, I passed four lads the other day, two swigging cans of coke, one with a can of Stella. They looked about 16. And it was quarter past 9 in the morning.

Reply to
John Laird

Most US beer (and soda) cans are 12 US fluid Ounces, 355milliliters

Remove SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels