OT - Battery TV

A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far. Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Reply to
PeterC

Maplin have a few 7"/8" ones that run from car cigarette lighter sockets, if you are not looking for those that have the cells built in.

Reply to
Adrian C

Amazon list a few ITH.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , PeterC writes

Argos sell them

Reply to
geoff

Maplin for one. Have several small portable sets. You might want to think of the near future and get a widescreen FreeView one, though. But they all tend to be quite expensive compared to what you'd pay for a larger mains one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are we talking CRT or LCD Technology?

I would think LCD is more feasible from batteries.

Reply to
John

PeterC coughed up some electrons that declared:

Caravan/camping place is a good bet for external 12V and battery powered things like that.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I have a casio tv with a 55mm screen. Model 770. Was a present from my wife about 15 years ago. I wonder what I could use it for in 4 years time

Reply to
Alang

In message , Tim S writes

Tim - caravan outlets, like golf, skiing etc really are not the place to go, they tend to be niche and expensive

Like I said - Argos

or CPC

or Maplin

competitive outlets (although, Maplin seem to be falling out of that category with some of their prices nowadays)

Reply to
geoff

My local Cash Converters / Cash Generator has several similar to this one, so I suspect they have a job lot.

CC/CG one is colour, I think LCD, though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

geoff coughed up some electrons that declared:

I thought you were about to say: "embarassing to be seen in one"

There is that.

Reply to
Tim S

Thanks, but there won't be a car, so rechargeable cells would be best I think.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks all for the pointers.

Maplin has a couple that have batteries; Amazon's better but I don't know how he feels about buying on line.

I'll see him tomorrow so, if I stay sober for long enough, i'll let him know.

Reply to
PeterC

Be aware that they eat batteries. My mother-in-law was terminally ill in hospital, the tv on her ward was faulty and she was immobile, the hospital said that if we bought a new tv they would have to have it tested which would take a week (more than the time she had left) so we bought a battery lcd one to give her something to occupy her, but it chewed through a set of rechargeables in less than an hour and a half. Luckily we had bought a number of spare sets.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The one I have has only provision for alkalines - it won't work with rechargeables as the voltage is too low. So you might have to make up a pack with 10 or more cells. And it eats batteries so I wouldn't want to have to pay for alkalines.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

CRT or LCD?

A LCD shouldn't eat batteries much more than (say) a Nintendo or SatNav.

Reply to
John

good point - he also has no mains (leccy or water) where he is, so LCD would be better.

Reply to
PeterC

What power source does he have? It would make sense to get a set that can utilise that directly or via a convertor. But preferably not:

Gert battery bank > Mains invertor > TV wall wart PSU > TV.

Better to go: Gert battery bank > DC-DC convertor > TV if the gert battery bank isn't the right voltage for the TV.

The backlight in an LCD sucks power at a not disimilar rate to that of a CRT. Backlit LCD's are lower consumption than CRT but not by as much as some people seem to think, 75 to 50% not 10%.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is an LCD. They are still power hungry. The wall wart provided with it is 1 amp. Even if this is generous - which I doubt - it means alkalines will only last a couple of hours or so.

If it's for use in a residence of some sort the cheapest way would be to run it off a car battery - but don't discharge it more than about half way. Two would be needed - one in use while the other is being charged. They're by far the cheapest method of storing electricity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He seems to be sorted now, thanks: a colleague gave him a TV that runs fron the ciggy lighter socket. He's going to do a lash-up so that there's a socket on a lead, then, as he works on vehicles, he'll just clip the thing to whatever's in! He dosses in a caravan for 4 or 5 nights at a time to avoid excessive travelling. No 'facilities' but all he needs nearby. The TV's just to keep him amused.

Reply to
PeterC